cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phil14
Message 1 of 12

Line Dead, but BT Check says it is ok.

Go to solution

My Phone land-line died last night. No Dialling tone. I have disconnected all four phones, and plugged an old corded handset into the "Test" socket of my Master Line Box, but still nothing. Not a sound.

Yet.... my Broadband (Virgin Speedtouch) Connections still works.

Yet.... My BT Line test on four occasions has come back to tell me that there is no fault.

So I have now one everything on BT's troubleshooting guide, and still have no phone.

What else can I do?? 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
champ1970
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Line Dead, but BT Check says it is OK.

Go to solution

You have done all the checks required, just call BT again and report this fault... They will say there is a charge if down to you, however sounds like a one leg dis fault ( one of the wires has broken close to your house, that's why line tests OK and your broadband still works )... You will probably need to make an appointment due to the test result, however don't let BT fob you off....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Re: Line Dead, but BT Check says it is ok.

Go to solution

The line tester isn't 100% reliable.  It can miss faults that are close to your home.  I've had two occasions when the tester said there was no fault and the line was completely dead due to a broken wire at the telephone pole.

0 Ratings
ebon
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem since Sunday, March, 20. No dial tone but the internet is working.

I reported the fault and I got an e-mail reply that they are investigating and hope they'll fix it until Thursday, 17:00.

They sent me another e-mail today, Friday; they say they are still working on it. I hope they do.

0 Ratings
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Do you have your B.Band and phone with BT.

Pat

The reason I asked was I had this problem a while ago. I am B.band and phone with BT. it turned out to be a faulty home hub 2. Sorry not much help to you regards Pat

0 Ratings
ebon
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I have BT Phone and O2 broadband.

0 Ratings
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hello again ebon   if you want to have the use of your phone line until it is repaired, you could try unplugging your router/modem and leave just the phone line attached to the filter,  it worked for me for 3 weeks until the problem was solved it's a bit of a pain but worth trying for the use of your phone. I hope it works. It is not the ideal temporary solution and may not work for you.

regards Pat

0 Ratings
ebon
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Unplugging the router doesn't fix the "no dial tone" problem.

The phone doesn't work, not even when plugged into the master socket, with everything else unplugged.

0 Ratings
ebon
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

My BT line is working again.

An OpenReach engineer fixed the problem, which was outside the house.

Hurray!

0 Ratings
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
Pleased to hear everything fixed, on a Saturday at that!!!!!
0 Ratings