Jonpar
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Line Faults

After an absence abroad I returned to my flat in the UK and my landline phone was dead. I contacted BT a t2 PM last Saturday and was told the fault is outside somewhere and it would be fixed.

On Sunday I called again as it was still dead and was told that the engineers did not work weekends, and it would be fixed the next day. So I called again late Monday and was told "Oh no. We can't fix it until Thursday as 3 working days notice is required.

I personally find this kind of service appalling! I spend most of my time in the USA and I guess I haven't realised how bad things are in the UK. In the USA service engineers work 24/7. In emergencies such as lines down due to snowstorms etc. they will work all night in freezing conditions to effect repairs to phone and power lines.

But here in UK our people need their weekends free and a further 3 days before condescending to provide the service they are paid to perform. What has happened to my country?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Line Faults

Your'e on a residential-grade service.  That means that BT will try to fix faults within 3 working days.  Note: try to - there's no guarantee.

If you were willing to pay for a business line, you could get better service.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@Jonpar wrote:

What has happened to my country?

Could it be that all the best people spend most of their time in the USA?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

Openreach Engineers do work weekends but there is limited numbers of them. Also they do work on emergency call outs 24/7 365 days a year but why should you fall into the category of an Engineer calling out at 2 in the morning to fix a fault on your line?

And if things are that great in the US why not stay there?

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

BT engineers do work on Saturdays, but you have to be a high priority to get one.  I had a Saturday visit once after Openreach had missed 2 weekday appointments.

Luckily, the engineer I had on that day was persistent enough to finally track down the error that had cut off my broadband for a week.

0 Ratings