Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheFyrdman
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Line Installation at New Build Property

Hi everyone,

I have been settled into my new build property for over 5 months now and for that entire period have been attempting to have a phone line installed.  The key problem has been BT Openreach, an organisation that unfortunately I can't speak to directly.  Originally, Openreach connected the wrong house.  Then they came out and spotted that it was wrong house (little old lady not happy about the fact she hasn't had calls for a week) and said someone would need to be sent out for an intallation (they had been sent to check a fault).  So another day off work was booked.  The guy came out - oh dear, the line hasn't been connected to my house for an installation, I need a provision.  Another day off work booked.  BT OpenReach cancel the new booking for provision that I request because the last guy classed the problem as resolved.  Too late, last free holiday of the year wasted.  Another day is booked off work, now at my expense.  The guy comes, opens up the hatch for the primary connection point "Oh, the line isn't here, we need to drag it down from the other PCP".  I put down my hands which by now were threatening to throttle the fellow.  Anyone of these engineers could have identified this issue but it instead they were all eager to declare "not my problem, issue resolved".

So I chased Sky.  A different type of incompetence was encountered - plenty of enthusiasm but no actual knowledge or ability between them.  They told me that essentially BT Open Reach have to come out to conduct a survey, but couldn't say when.  Two and a half months later, I have my answer.  In the meantime though at least they have compensated me with the complete tv package for free, so in some ways thanks Open Reach!

The answer I have finally got back is that Sky cannot provide me SkyTalk because they now use (have done for the last 12 months roughly) a WR3 platform, as opposed to the more common WR2 platform.  To install WR3, Open Reach were going to charge Sky more than £1000 (which is their threshold for installation costs) so no line will be installed.  What Sky can't give me is the results of the survey to tell me whether or not WR2 is installed up to the PCP (which according to the builder of the house, it is).

So what I dearly need to know is: How do I find out whether or not WR2 is already installed up to my PCP?  If not, how much will it cost to do?  The nearest PCP to mine is about 4 metres away in a straight line with no above ground obstacles.  When I spoke to BT over the phone, they said call BT Open Reach.  When I speak to BT Open Reach, they say they don't speak to private individuals, I need a provider to speak to them on my behalf.

Aaargh! So to sum up, BT say I need to speak to BT OpenReach, and BT Open Reach say I need to speak to BT.  What on earth can I do to get this progressed?  I just want half decent broadband!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Line Installation at New Build Property

If your ISP is Sky, then its Sky who will have to chase up Openreach, its nothing to do with BT Retail.

This forum is for BT Retail Broadband and phone customers. Why not post your complaint on the Sky forums

here http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/

If you decide to change ISP, then I am sure you will get plenty of help on this forum.

0 Ratings
TheFyrdman
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Lovely response to a potential customer.  Sky have given me their answer - they cannot install it because the platform they use is too expensive.  Thus I am looking for a different provider.  I am effectively looking for an idea on the cost of having a line installed via BT before signing on to be your customer because a) your representative told me it was BT Open Reach's issue not the provider and I needed to speak to them thus b) I don't want to become tied into the 18 month contract only to find out that you cannot provide the line to my house without me forking out £1000 plus.  I spoke to the post office this morning about there installation costs and the gentleman has said he has seen this happen and the cost was £6000.  That's not a typo, £6k.  Granted, the guy was in the highlands but considering every provider I have spoke to has said that Open Reach seems to pluck these costs out of the air I would like to know how much I am paying before being tied into a contract for a product I cannot receive. 

Capiche? 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

This is a BT domestic customer to customer help forum, any messages posted here do not go to BT.
The only BT employees here, are the forum moderators.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate e-mail confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
TheFyrdman
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Thanks, message now sent.

This forum is open for registration to all, I didn't see anything preventing a none customer registering.  Additionally, if this forum provided support to those outside of BT currently, it would certainly be a selling point that you had such a supportive community (I won't name them but another broadband provided is highly acclaimed for it's active and supportive community).  So far, your responses have been jobsworthy rather than helpful. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

BT Retail can not provide support for none BT Retail customers because BT Retail do not hold any customer account information if they are with other SP's or ISP's.

Your wasting your time on this forum and if you have e-mailed to MOD's you have wasted their time as well, but at least they are getting paid to tell you to talk to Sky.

I would also like to know the name of this, 'highly acclaimed for it's active and supportive community' because if you are with a differnet ISP to them exactly how are they obtaining updates on faults or phone line installation, because there is no central information point all SP's and ISP's can go to for it?

0 Ratings
tony_cums
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

I notice they (Bt Open Reach) do not provide any other provider (Talk Talk etc etc)  with information on what lines have been installed for new housing developments .......so the competition can't provide you a service (when calling for a new service)....funnily enough BT allow you to enter new house number into their website & when calling them  when purchasing Brandband/TV/phone service from them....(because they own the copper to you property). They are also able to give you an install date.....bottom line is for new build properties...they're the only ones able to give you a new line....& no one else. I can only assume they are withholding new connection/line information for new build properties which they do not provide to anyone else so they are able to provide phone & broadband services.

No matter what you do....you can't get Talk Talk or any service provider to give you a new line/broadband service....New providers check your address on the post office website...but they go BT OpenReach on a portal to check what copper is connected to the local exchange which is owned by BT....millions of new home owners aren't being given the opportunity of go to anyone else but BT ...first...once the line is connected...OpenReach announce the line is available for service. I have tried this with my new build property No xxx postcode rh1 xxx....today 29th june I was given an install date of the 16th July......yet talk talk & any one else were not even able to give me a date as to when they could start processing an order....until they're able to see my line for house number xxx available for service....which BT control

I've raised this with communication Ombudsman & will be sending a copy to Talk Talk Market & sales director to apply more pressure on this scandalous behaviour

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

Sorry this is just plain wrong, if service providers cannot raise orders for new build properties it's probably down to their staff, the order entry system is the same regardless of provider
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

yes I agree i know several people who have moved into new builds and have placed orders for phone service and line install with other companies more like staff at the provider not wanting to be bothered
0 Ratings