cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annacondamark
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Line Rental taken in advance without my permission

BT have taken £120 for line rental saver without my permission. They say I must have phoned and paid as it is a debit card payment but it doesn't make sense. They already have my card details so they could use them I believe to remove money, illegal but possible?.

I have no recollection of calling them and I'm sure I would remember as the calls are always to India and I have an issue with that as I sometimes have difficulty talking to the staff as they seem to follow a regimented procedure and don't tend to deviate from it. The first person I spoke to on the issue just kept repeating that it was a non-refundable payment over and over. He wasn't interested it my pleas and I only got sense when I insisted on talking to a supervisor.

I had already made plans to leave BT to go to O2, which I did on 27/6/11 for both broadband, line rental and calls.

I moved my calls from TalkTalk back to BT in readiness to move to O2, my line rental has always been with BT and paid by DD for over 25 years. Although BT show no respect for loyalty to their long-trerm customers.

BT say I called on 9/5/11 but the conformation email arrives on 24/6/11 over SIX WEEKS from the date of the supposed consented payment.

I have spoke to BT (India) a couple of weeks ago and after a bit of a struggle as they initially said I had paid and it was non-refundable. Eventually I got to a supervisor who said that it was a mistake by BT and I would be credited the amount taken. Great, I thought.

Two weeks later, nothing. I called back (India) and a pretty patronising woman just kept insisting nothing could be done as I MUST have called and made the payment. As far as she was concerned BT could never ever have taken that money without consent. From the other emails, I dispute that point.

She didn't wasn't interested in the previous call in which BT admitted it was their mistake.

I asked for proof of the call and she said I'd have to write to BT enclosing a £10 cheque for the audio recordings.

So once again the customer has to fight and pay for justice. Why isn't it BT responsibility to provide this free and via a phone call. They know in this day people don't like sending mail via the post and are lazy.  I'm sure this is just to deter people for continuing with their complaint.

I am in the process of sending the letter but thought I try and sort it via this forum.

Something smells and I'm not going to give it up. The money isn't the issue, it's BT arrogance. And there I was thinking BT might treat me with some respect. I've always backed BT when people asked about them as  I did work for them for over 16 years but know they will get nothing but a slating from me to others and reading other peoples emails, it's a deserved slating.

If anyone else has had a similar issue please post a reply. I would be very interested and it will help me if I need to take BT to the small claims court.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
justatwork
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Line Rental taken in advance without my permission

Sales advisors are the UK not India and they would be the ones to take payment for LRS

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

I asked for proof of the call and she said I'd have to write to BT enclosing a £10 cheque for the audio recordings.
So once again the customer has to fight and pay for justice. Why isn't it BT responsibility to provide this free and via a phone call. They know in this day people don't like sending mail via the post and are lazy. I'm sure this is just to deter people for continuing with their complaint.

The simple reason they will only give that information to you by post is because of the data protection act the recordings have to be sent to you it is for your safety also the line saver discount is only available if paid for in advance it is in the terms and conditions
this link explains more http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29984
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Have you told your debit card provider about the unauthorised payment? That would be another way to go to get a refund.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hi Annacondamark,

The Line Rental Saver can only be ordered if a payment is taken by Debit or Credit card. To be able to do this BT needs the card holder online to confirm the security number off the back of the card, as this information is not stored by BT and is need to be able to process the payment. It is not possible for BT to be able to process the card payment without the security details being given.

I would like to take a look at your account. Please could you send in your details using the link found in the "about me" section of my profile?

Thanks

Paddy

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
annacondamark
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Thanks fro all the replies.

I eventually got a call back from a UK rep who within 5 mins had sort the problem and reimburst my finances.

The call was 5 hours late but that incompetence was the fault of a call centre rep who didn't bother to check when the UK rep, who had been allocated the job, was starting work which was 3pm. They told me the UK rep would call at 10am.

She said that it wasn't done on the phone but online on a certain date. When I check my diary and browser history,

A, I was ill for a few days and laid up in bed.

B. I was not online for 3 days over the period I was supposed to have gone online.

C. I ALWAYS write done in my diary and payments to any company over the phone or online.

There were a lot  of wierd things going on which she couldn't explain such as dates of money taken, confirmation emails sent, activation dates, line cease dates, return of calls dates. But the main thing is that it was BT's fault.

All a bit odd but a successful conclusion. If only BT's Indian outfit would be as efficient as the UK. Nothing racist meant, just badly trained staff or company procedure. Being told by more than one person that it must have been me over and over again is not the way to deal with customers. If I accused my customers of something without investigating properly, I wouldn't have a business.

Mark

0 Ratings
kenta7lor
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

I was interested to read about your problem because it seems to  imply that BT customer service are telling me lies.

I paid for line rentall saver  in september 2010.BT sent a letter saying that the line rental saver would renew automatically unless I cancelled it.

I am approaching the renewal date and received a bill from BT showing that they have taken 3 months line rental in advance while still covered by last years line rental payment and while waiting for the line rental saver to be renewed automatically as per their letter of last september.

After hanging on for nearly 30 minutes I finally spoke to someone who said:

1)regardless of what was said in the letter about automatic renewing it was not possible.

2)Bt woulld not let me pay for next years line rental on 6th of september because it is not due until 15th september ,because their system would not allow for upfront payments  while I was still covered by last years payment. 

3)I would have to call back ON 15th september no earlier to renew and at that time they would credit my BT account account with the 3 months line rental as they could not pay it into my bank account.

4) Because I had trouble understanding her and because the statements she made contradicted each other,I asked for a number to speak to someone in the UK about my problem.She said there was no number and I would have to speak to someone in India instead.

Can someone from BT advise me why you have had you renewal colllected but mine can't be.Why if they can't take my renewal over the phone today because I am still covered by last years premium,but they can take a quarters line rental without any problem while still covered by last years payment,and why I can't have the quarters line rental credited either to my bank or sent to me by cheque.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Hi kenta7lor,

Line rental saver is definitly not auto renewing.

I think you need the mods to try and sort this out for you. If you fill in this form: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 with a link back to your post for ref, the mods will get back to you. it can take up to 3 days.

They contact you direct via email or phone.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
kenta7lor
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for your response.However,I have bt letter dated 7th september 2010 ref CU29 in front of me it says and I quote

"Remeber-we'll renew this 12 month deal automatically.You'll stay on the deal unless you ask us not to renew it before the renewal date."  

Regards

Ken

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

@kenta7lor wrote:

Thanks for your response.However,I have bt letter dated 7th september 2010 ref CU29 in front of me it says and I quote

"Remeber-we'll renew this 12 month deal automatically.You'll stay on the deal unless you ask us not to renew it before the renewal date."  

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken.

This is taken direct from the BT web page:

At the end of the 12 months you'll revert to monthly line rental unless you tell us otherwise

To read the rest have a look here:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29984

So I still think, to get this sorted out you need the help of the forum mods who are BT employees based in the UK who will contact you direct via email or telephone

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings