cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 24

Re: Line and Infinty Install Catalogue of problems - advice please ?

@snowy2010 wrote:

Just another quick thought :

As mentioned,  BT have incorrectly ordered Infinity Option 1 for me (I am currently on Option 2).

They tell me the best thing to do is go with Option 1 and then call as soon as it is installed and they will upgrade it to Option 2.

Is it really that easy ????

It's very easy to change from Infinity1 to Infinity2

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 24

Just an update to the saga 🙂

The OR line engineer was due on the 28th to "install the new line".....

On the 27th I plugged a phone into the socket and it worked perfectly (I even called BT on it).

On the 28th,  the engineer turned up,  took one look and was very pleased that the job was done before he got there!  All good so far.

Later on the 28th the Infinty team phoned to book me in for a 9th of April install of Infinity.  They also said they would expediate it but they would have to confirm this after the bank holiday.

Yesterday,  they phoned me to ask if I would be in tomorrow (today, the 3rd) for the infinity install.  In the meantime I have a letter from them telling me that Infinity Option 2 install was booked for the 9th (and also "My BT" reflected this).

So...  Engineer arriver today - I had everything ready for him and he connected at the cab and it works a treat BUT only on Option 1 (my predicted is 72 down and I am getting just over 38 down).

So... I phoned BT today to order the change to Option 2 and they told me that the open order for the 9th is for the Option 2 switchover.... Not sure I believe them as this could still be the original (non-expediated) Infinty provisioning order....

Here's hoping I get switched to Option 2 on the 9th of April!

It's worth pointing out that in "My BT" it says there is no phone line on this account (although if I go in to view my phone useage I have a dropdown with both my old and new numbers).  Also, when I click through to tracking the 9th April order there are 2 orders available in the dropdown, both with exactly the same VOL number and for the same thing (Infinty Option 2).

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 24

Just done some more speed test and I am now getting 50mb!  Still far short of the expected 72Mb!  And I am spitting distance from the cab with very low contention in it.

Just phoned BT Back and some else in Sunderland has confirmed that I AM currently on Option 2!! 

They were brilliant at Sunderland but have told me that the tech team can't deal with it until after midnight (as thats when the order will go through).

So,  it could be line stabilisation but I will phone technical tomorrow to see what they can do.  Personally, I suspect it is the very old and decrepit copper from the pole to the NTE that is causing the issue!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 24

OK - speedtest.net and the bbmax tester are now showing around 50-55 - I can't use BT's yet until the order completes (doesn't recognise my phone number).

HOWEVER...   Just tried a newsgroup nzb download of a linux distro and it is maxing out at 8737 KB/s (about 69 Mbps) so it appears that the line IS running at full speed ???

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 24

OK - I guess it must be line stablisation coupled with my impatience LOL!  DL is now around 71 on speedtest.net but upload is around 8.94 :  http://www.speedtest.net/result/2619631029.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 16 of 24

@snowy2010 wrote:

OK - I guess it must be line stablisation coupled with my impatience LOL!  DL is now around 71 on speedtest.net but upload is around 8.94 :  http://www.speedtest.net/result/2619631029.png

Yep!

Give it time snowy! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 24

Thanks pippincp - Quick question : It is now swinging netween 42 and 55 on speedtests and newsgroups - Is this normal for the stablisation period ???

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 18 of 24

Yup.

No definative answer until DLM has had time to build up a line history.

Here's how it goes (in simple terms). On install you will get the total max the line can handle.

DLM will monitor the line and will agree on that speed if it sees the line stable and everything is OK.

If DLM sees a problem it will make adjustments looking for a stable line rate, this is where your speeds can fluctuate while DLM is looking for stability.

Post back in 10 days if you have problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 24

Thanks again for the info pippincp - Actually, today speedtest.net is reporting about 45Mb - bbmax about 38Mb BUT I can still download from Newsgroups at about 70Mb 🙂  Also, BT's own (rather pretty) speed tester is reporting about 65Mb.

BUT  I am still (on all) only getting 8Mb upload.

The other thing that has happened is that my BT Cloud is now only 2Gb.  I had 50Gb on my previous account before the move AND I recontracted (to get free line install) on this one so I should have 50Gb - Guess another call is coming 🙂 lol

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 24

I was also wondering if anyone can advise :

The master socket is at one of a wall and the nearest power socket is at the other end.

I wanted the Openreach modem (and HH3) next to the power socket and told the engineer this when he arrived but he apologised and said the rj11 cable he had was far too short (it was about half a meter).

Luckily I had a longer one from my old Openreach modem and we used that BUT it still doesn't quite reach to where I want it (behind the TV stand) so the wire is sort of hanging in mid air across the room.

I have just found out that he should have installed a DEK but that was never offered or mentioned!!

So... can I get them back to install a DEK or is there a suitable cable I can get myself (I only need about 3m total length)? 

(or can I buy a cat5e cable terminated with rj11's anywhere ?)

0 Ratings