Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Line dropping and high Noise margin follwing Exchange upgrade

Go to solution

Hi guys.

Back again for my biannual problem solving session. So heres my story. Our internet went off last Thursday for 10 minutes or so followed by an email letting us know that our local exchange had been upgraded, then began the problems. Incidentally, inicially I wa over the moon, my speed had increased to a blistering 10.8 Mbps.

From then on, whenever we mad eor received a phone call our broadband would drop out. I made the usual call to India, mive the hub etc etc but to no avail. eventually I decided to buy and change the micro filters. This worked, great, but why did I have to do this? Why did my filters no longer work?

I had hoped that would be the end of it, still at regular intervals, the BB is dropping out and reconnecting, each time it reconnects, the HH2 is syncing at a lower speed and the Noise margin is increasing. Only slowly but it is very irritating. We have gone down from 10.8 to just over 9Mbps. Where will it end? Anyhoo, I have spoke to India again and they are looking into it.

Any ideas/comments? Here are my stats.

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 9:28:53
Downstream10,883 Kbps
Upstream1,112 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.7 dB / 5.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)35.0 dB / 18.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)672 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)360
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Line dropping and high Noise margin follwing Exchange upgrade

Go to solution

Just leave it alone, it will sort itself out after a few days, its best not to get the helpdesk involved, as there is nothing wrong with your connection, its just the normal period of settling in when the tline is upgraded.

Its best not to restart or disconnect it for at least 10 days, otherwise you will end up with a much slower speed.

ADSL2+ is uses more bandwidth, so its important to keep the distance from the point where your line comes in, to the home hub, as short as possible, and have a filter at the point it enters the house, so that the broadband signal does not go down the extension wiring.

The ideal solution is a filtered faceplate at the master socket, that will ensure that you get the fastest connection speed.

Like this http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/images/adslface.jpg

or this

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/images/newnte.jpg

Some of the older microfilters are not as effective at stopping the higher frequency ADSL2+ signals from getting into your phone circuit, which is most likely why you were asked to change them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Cheers for the reply.

Though I havent restarted the HH2, it is dropping out on its own. Actually, I had to restart the HH2 last night due to no one being able to connect to the web following one of its drop outs.

What sort of speed do you think I will end up with? Could it go back up over time?

India told me last night there may be a fault outside of the house..............i am sure though that is just the line they give.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
As Keith has posted just leave the connection to settle it is perfectly normal for the hub to restart during the 10day trainingperiod while the exchange equipment finds the best stable speed for your line just ensure you do nt keep restarting the hub yourself
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
On a perfect line I would be expecting around 11.7 mb
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Cheers for the advice guys.

How do I keep it connected for 10 days when it drops out every day ?

Also, is a drop out and a hub restart ( by me ) the same thing to the BB?

ta

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
During the first 10 days it is perfectly normal for thehub to automatically restarted this is the exchange trying various settings to give you the best stable connection at the end of the training period manual restarts from your end can be seen as a possible problem and that will cause the equipment to see the connection as unstable and it will then reduce your. Speed to try and stabilise the problem
It is therefore important that you do not restart the hub
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

ok, i understand. So any restarts i may have done in the last week days ( 3 i think ) when investigating the phone/BB issue will not have had an adverse effect since it was during the first 10 days and would be the same as the automatic drop outs?

I will leave it alone from now on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Will the 3 days of contant drops outs due to the phone interference issue have caused my speed to drop? If so, will it eventually improve?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@mattyf-1 wrote:

Will the 3 days of contant drops outs due to the phone interference issue have caused my speed to drop? If so, will it eventually improve?

Quite likely. The DLM ( Dynamic Line Management) is automatic, and works well if left alone.

You have an 8.7dB margin, so there is room for a slight improvement in speed.

0 Ratings