Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blaikie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Line has been upgraded to ADSL2

Go to solution

So I requested for my line to be upgraded yesterday and I got a very fast response and noticed my line was switched to G.992.3 Annex A (ADSL2) in the early hours of the morning, thanks very much for this.

As I imagined my line is more than enough to handle the upgrade but I was wondering if the full effect has taken place yet or does it take a day to settle or something? So far I haven't noticed even the slightest of difference and also I was wondering why it's G.992.3 Annex A and not G.992.5 Annex (ADSL2+) ?

I'd also like to investigate further with my line so I'll recap what my initial problem is with the connection.

At the beginning of last year I had outstanding latency to most servers especially local and I achieved higher speeds at times as well but this isn't my concern although I could do with a tad more upload which I have achieved before, something like a stable 0.4 etc. But it's the ping which is the main concern here.

Here is a comparison:

January 2014

pingtest210114.png

speedtest210114.png

January 2015

pingtest060115.png

speedtest060115.png

As you can see the ping is a significant difference and the upload is slightly better but please take into consideration that the older speedtest was tested at a server further away than the current one so it was better than what is shown in the image above (speedtest.net 150mi compared to 100mi now).

So I thought a line upgrade would give me a slight increase not looking for anything major here but slight difference, but maybe it's too early?

Thanks,

Robert

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Line has been upgraded to ADSL2

Go to solution

can you post the stats from the hh4 - troubleshooting then helpdesk

after an upgrade to adsl2 there is normally a training period of 10 days to let line settle

the DLM will decide whether 992.3 adsl2 or 992.5 adsl2+ depending on line noise and line quality.  there is no magic switch to go from one to the other and your line could change to 992.5 and at next reset back to 992.3

I think I said in an earlier post that you may not see any increase in down speed when moving to adsl2 - when you look at checker estimates

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Blaikie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

I will post the stats when I'm home from work tonight.

I understand the capabilities of my line but I'm only looking for tiny marginal differences when going from 0.3 to 0.4 could make the world of difference in upload and the ongoing issue of why latency has significanly dropped.

If I had an exceptional connection for my line in Janaury 2014 last year as shown above and ADSL2 can't even best that then where is the issue lying?

People expect big increases but I'm only looking for bread crumbs and also it's difficult to adjust playing with such good latency to high ping now. 

I was told I would be contacted on Saturday to see how the line was and hopefully some things will have adjusted by then but it still doesn't explain the ping. The exact same thing happened to me with sky after being with them a while and it took a lot of painful phone calls to finally get my latency down again, it was profile / settings etc.

Another thing which is racking my brain is at how much involvement DLM has on our lines, surely each DLM can be adjusted to not interfere with things like ADSL2 profiles and interleaving if BT have the customers consent? I would like to know that manually resetting my router isn't going to continually mess up my profile as resetting routers should be part of regular routine especially if you're a gamer?

Apologies for being picky here I'm just trying to get a full understanding. I forked out over £100.00 for a Netduma router in order to take advantage of the anti flood(prioritise my PC bandwidth over others in the household QoS) feature since my connection is terrible, turns out my upload speed is so poor that it starts to flood the games I play if it's enabled, so you can understand a little frustration.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
This link explains more about the Operation of the DLM http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM_system.htm
0 Ratings
Blaikie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I've just come across an interesting article - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6726-assia-court-case-forces-openreach-to-turn-off-dlm.html

It is very clear to me that my line is skewed by the heavy influence DLM and it's interleaving. Thinking back to last year I probably did have a few power cuts which was probably why my connection was altered, but why this cannot be reversed is just so far beyond me it's untrue.

Now I understand that you guys on here have very limited resources but customers definitely get further on here than via phone call customer support. So I'm looking for some strong advice instead. What is the best method to contact line management engineers via telephone to give my full consent and make raw line adjustments i.e interleaving off period and DLM changes? Any public contact number hits me with a barrier of basic troubleshooting assistants? Perhaps some sort of ID number to bypass such troubleshooting, a ticket etc.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
The DLM is not under BT retails (your ISP) control it is under the control of Openreach and BT Wholesale both of whom are not customer facing
Interleaving can be switched to fast path but any instability on the line will restore it again
0 Ratings
Blaikie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

There must be some sort of power over DLM as they're able to reset it. I could ask for interleaving to be disabled but what if I manually reset the router or power cuts happen again, I'd be on all the time asking for it to be turned off. For example, I had requested interleaving to be turned off just before Christmas and lo and behold a random power cut, back to square one again.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
as i posted it is fully automatic and only limited manual adjustments can be made manually one power cut or router restart is very unlikely to turn interleaving back on as multiple resets are needed for that to happen it sounds more like when on fastpath your line errors have increased rapidly causing the change also on adsl2 your line becomes more susceptible to noise issues causing further instability
0 Ratings
Blaikie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

The only time I've asked for interleaving to be turned off properly was a couple of weeks ago where a power cut spoiled the process. I've asked over the phone before of course to no avail. I did have a period of power cuts last year which probably caused the line upset and I haven't bothered to phone for a long time after that.

I will see this week through until Saturday when I should receive a call to see how my line is coping with ADSL2, from there I will ask for interleaving to be disabled again. Hopefully everything works out from there but if not I will try and dig deeper while DLM continues to throttle my line.

Thanks for the replies.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

post the stats from your hh4 that I requested earlier and that will show if fast or interleaved

was the suggestion not to try fast first and see if line was stable before trying a move to adsl2?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings