cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soupladel
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Line information on HH5

I received my HH5 yesterday and got it set up in short order, i even managed to work out quite quickly how to adapt the network setttings to be as close as possible to my previous set up (i was using a netgear modem/router).  I am currently on ADSL2 with a usual top speed of 20Mbps as i am literally in spitting distance of the excahnge.

My Apple Airport Time Capsule even worked instantly with it and is provideing a secondary wifi network over and above the one being provided by the HH5.  In truth I will likely switch this off as i have no need for two wifi networks.

However one anomoly i have noticed is that i seem to get slightly quicker speeds over wifi from the Airport than i do from the HH5.  I am not talking about significant differences, perhaps a difference of around 1MBps, but neither go above 19Mbps where as with my previous Netgear router i was regularly hitting 20MBps and just over.  I have used both apple and non apple devices on the wifi to work out if it was just apple playing nice with apple and that is not the case.

At some point today i get switched over to Infinity2 and wanted to know if it was possible to view the line information and connection details on the HH5 so i can determine whether i am actually getting the maximum speed available to me, whether the issues i am now seeing are caused by the line (which may have been impacted by the introduction of the fibre street cabinet, although i am fairly sure that was introduced around the time of my ADSL" switch on) something in my hardware set up or something else entirely.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Line information on HH5

0 Ratings
soupladel
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for that, but does that screen give more detailed information such as line noise etc...? i am at work just now and cannot check the HH5 myself to see.

I ask this because i would like to do a comparison between what my netgear router sees currently, what my HH5 sees before the service switches, and what those details are after the switchover.
0 Ratings
soupladel
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Also i should add, any advice on why there should be a speed difference between the HH5 and the apple airport in favour of the later device? they both provide wifi to the same standard and the distance for the check is literally two meters away if that.
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

The line stats from the Home Hub are not great but you'll get something along the lines of the following:

5.	VDSL uptime:	6 days, 11:22:18
6.	Data Rate:	16538 / 34999
7.	Maximum Data Rate:	16561 / 55188
8.	Noise Margin:	6.5 / 13.8
9.	Line Attenuation:	30.3 / 20.6

As far as the difference in WiFi, aside from a lot of reports on these forums that the HH5 WiFi is not great, there may be other reasons for this:

- The Home Hub by default uses the same SSID (name) for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz so you might be connecting using different WiFi standards. Many people create separate SSID so they know what they're connecting to. See How do I connect my device only to the 5GHz wireless channel on the Hub 4 or Hub 5? for details of how to do this.

- Even if operating to the same standard, the HH and AA may not be operating on the same WiFi channel. If that's the case there could be more interference on one channel than the other.

Regards

0 Ratings
soupladel
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

You actually raise a good point because i have just realised that i switched off 5.0GHz on my airport because I got a new wireless gaming headset (Astro A50) and the consensus on their forums was that it didn't like 5.0GHz wireless as it used a similar frequency. However it actually only goes to compound the issue because surely that would mean the speed coming from the HH5 should be even better still because it is connecting with 5.0GHz but the Airport is using 2.4GHz.
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Perhaps, but then it goes back to my point that there are "a lot of reports on these forums that the HH5 WiFi is not great". This is especially true for the Home Hub 5 GHz WiFi.

At the end of the day, until you split the Home Hub SSID so you know what frequency a device is connected to, we don't know whether we're comparing apples and apples.

Regards

0 Ratings
soupladel
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

well actually we do because i did mean to include in my reply that when checking connected devices on the HH5, the test devices were all showing as connected via 5.0GHz.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@soupladel wrote:
well actually we do because i did mean to include in my reply that when checking connected devices on the HH5, the test devices were all showing as connected via 5.0GHz.

Only if you have split the networks. If not split then many devices have problems with networks combined

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings