cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 14

Line rental saver questions

We currently have "unlimited evening & weekend plan at no extra cost" when we sign up for 12 months.  This is due for renewal on 24 March but I haven't yet received any notification about it - presume it just continues?  We also have BT Infinity Broadband.  We pay monthly by direct debit.

I would quite like to take out the line rental saver option and am quite happy to pay 12 months' rental up front and understand that the above won't be affected and will continue as now but have the following questions:

1.  The online billing discount goes when you take out line rental saver and cannot be restored.  Do BT guarantee that line rental saver will be available always or can they just withdraw it and make us pay the monthly charge again (but without the online billing discount of course)?  I know that they say that you need to renew after a year but is this just a scam to get rid of the discount they are giving currently?

2.  Is the only option for payment a debit or credit card?  If so, is it a one-off payment or set up as a continuous one?  I never use continuous payment on cards as they are impossible to cancel if the company you are paying won't do it.  I would be happy to pay by direct debit or make a bill payment but not at all happy with continuous card payments.

Sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find it.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Line rental saver questions

They can only go on taking payments for as long as the card is valid! I'd pay by credit card and then you could get onto the credit card company and complain about unauthorised transactions, should there be any.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 14

Incorrect, you can still receive charges on a credit card even after you have closed the account and you will still remain liable for them
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Does BT monitor these forums, and are they able to answer these questions which were posted five months ago?

I suspect I already know...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

Hi MrRandom,

As it says:
"Join the conversation in our Customer Support Community"

"This is the place where customers help other customers get the most out of their BT products and services."

It is a customer to Customer forum. The only official BT presence on the forums are the forum moderaters.
toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

@toekneem wrote:

It is a customer to Customer forum. The only official BT presence on the forums are the forum moderaters.

Yup, as I thought, and I can guess the answers ot the original questions too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

@MrRandom wrote:

@toekneem wrote:

Yup, as I thought, and I can guess the answers ot the original questions too.

Hi,

@The original poster joined on the 09/03/2011 and posted @18.24hrs and was last logged in on the same date @19.08hrs.

@19.33hrs on the same day a poster answered part of the question, the original poster has NOT logged in since 19.08hrs on the 09/03/2011.

And like i have said , this is a forum where BT customers try and help BT customers.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Hi Cara

I've got Line Rental Saver as well.

I guess they could easily revert back to not paying up front, but i think as they're able to get the money up front to earn greater rates of interest, then they may keep it.

You do need to pay it by card but it is NOT self-renewing.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

@russianmonkey wrote:

You do need to pay it by card but it is NOT self-renewing.

OK, that's something. But why do you need to pay it by card if you have a direct debit already set up -- why can't BT take the money straight out of your bank account?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

I'm guessing it's so BT has the money in a shorter timescale. 2 rather than 5 days, and there's less risk of it not going through.

DDs in my experience are more fiddly in terms of payments.

0 Ratings