Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djeffer
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Line speed incredibly slow

Hi there,

A couple of months ago my Internet connection crashed completely due to, apparently, a faulty Netgear modem. A BT Engineer called who replaced the modem with a BT Homehub and also replaced the main incoming socket.

All appeared well until some of weeks ago when I noticed that download speeds appeared to be dropping. At first I put this down to heavy traffic but it is now abysmal.

I can’t watch any live streaming at all.

On BBC iplayer it starts up then sits there for 30secs or so, then runs for 8secs then stops to load for 40secs before playing the next 8sec slot. Not good and therefore impossible to watch anything ‘live’. Ie. MotoGP, F1 etc.

Iplayer speed test reports 200kbs, just about sufficient to ‘stream’ radio.

Note that I have performed all the checks suggested on the BT website, including connecting directly to the ‘test’ port. All with the same result.

Also the PC is directly connected to the Home Hub, not by wireless.

After reading a number of post on this forum I checked in BT Home Hub Manager and got the following.

Connection Information   10th June 2012, 16:10

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

0 days, 06:59:07

Downstream:

280.6 Kbps

Upstream:

664 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.3 Annex A

Latency type:

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):

6.0 dB / 5.8 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

63.3 dB / 40.9 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

12.3 dBm / 12.6 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

0 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up):

133091 / 3039

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):

144163 / 4095

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

9889 / 1079

I then left the unit powered up for a number of days and obtained the following results.

Connection Information  13th June 2012, 2210

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

1 days, 01:36:54

Downstream:

284.4 Kbps

Upstream:

728.2 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.3 Annex A

Latency type:

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):

11.1 dB / 5.5 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

63.2 dB / 40.8 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

15.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

1509570 / 17135

CRC Events (Down/Up):

5204 / 1456

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):

8806 / 3038

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

33440 / 4606

Note that the connection time shows 1 days, 01:36:54

This is strange as the unit has not been switched off at all and there hasn’t been any power cuts in the area.

Below are the result from BT Speedtester tonight at 11:55pm

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed

0.22 Mbps

0 Mbps

0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.22 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

0.58 Mbps

0 Mbps

0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.58Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I am somewhat perplexed, frustrated and angry that I have lost the ability to get any form of live streaming.

To be honest, I’m not quite sure what I am paying £26.80 per month for.

Can you help?

Regards

Dave

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 22

Re: Line speed incredibly slow

Hi,

Looking at your stats, I can see that your on ADSL2. Have you recently recieved an email from BT about an adsl2+ upgrade? It would have been sent to your primary BT email address. The adsl2+ upgrade is part of BT new 21cn network. It enables you to go from ADSLMax (upto 8mb) to adsl2+ (upto 20mb).
However with your line being very long adsl2 or adsl2+ is very aggressive to any noise on your line causing more errors (CRC and HEC). These errors are the most likely reason for the resync.

With your line being approx 4.6km long (63db Attenuation) adsl2/2+ isn't going to make much of a difference. I would expect a IP profile of 1500kbps on AdslMax or 1750kbps on Adsl2+.

However with your line being so line adsl2/2+ could have made it unstable.

Your current noise margin is 11.1dB which is higher than the 6dB target. I would wait for a 3+days stable connection time and get the noise margin reset to 6dB. However if it does continue to resync (drop out and reconnect) I would get it back to ADSLMax. All these can be done by contacting the MODS.

What socket are you currently connected to?

What speeds were you getting before?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

Hi you need to connect your hub to the test socket which is located behind the lower removable plate of the master socket this will eliminate any possible internal wiring problems that could be limiting your speed also your noise margin is high this is also limiting your connection speed this will also improve your ip profile which in turn will will improve your download speed but weneed to see 3+days stable connection then we can get you in touch with the forum mods who can reset the noise margin but there must be 3days connection first

your problem has been caused by noise on the line which has caused multiple disconnections
0 Ratings
djeffer
Beginner
Message 4 of 22

Hi jac_95,

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Sadly I don't have any stats for before the problem so not sure what the speed was.

I'm currently connected to the main socket, not internal test socket as it made no difference.

Ref the current noise margin of 11dB. This was down to 6dB only a few days ago and still the speed was abysmal.

Cheers

Dave

0 Ratings
djeffer
Beginner
Message 5 of 22

Hi John 46,

Thanks for your advice.

The home hub has been connected for the last 3 - 4days so I'm not sure what else I can do. See posted test results.

I have tested on the 'test' socket at the back of the removable cover of the master socket some 4 days ago and the results are the same.

Regards

Dave

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 22

No Problem,

As john46 has said, I would connected it to the test socket again. This will eliminate any internal wiring faults. I would then leave it connected and after 3+days of a stable connection (and if your still having trouble) I would get that noise margin to 6dB. If the line is then stable enough on 6dB it might drop down to 3dB noise margin(BT are trailing 3dB for stable connections). However if the Errors then start to increase again I would get it bak to 6dB.

But in the meantime:

1) wait for a 3+day stable connection, then contact Mods to get noise margin reset to 6dB

2) If router keeps resyncing I would consider going back to ADSLMax [G.992.1 (G.DMT)] as a adsl2/2+ connection can be unstable on long lines.

3) You can do a quite line test to check for any noise (dial 17070 opt.2). dull hum normal on cordless phones.

5) http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm Try out this guide

Cheers,

James

0 Ratings
djeffer
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

Hi jak-95,

Thanks for the advice.

I'll connect to the test socket for the next few days and see what happens.

note I will be still connecting a telephone and filter. This is not negotiable as my wife is ill and may require medical attantion,

Regards

dave

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 22

That's understandable. Just to let you know that once you are connected to the test socket, no other sockets around the house will work apart from the test socket.

Cheers,

James

0 Ratings
djeffer
Beginner
Message 9 of 22

Thanks James.
I'll let you know what happens.
Don't hold your breath.
Dave
0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 10 of 22

I dont think a snr reset will help, because if you look the connection speeds are similar but on completley different noise margins 6 and 11dB. it looks like an external fault. djeffer does your noise margin vary for instance when it rains or if you get a big gust of wind?
0 Ratings