A couple of months ago my Internet connection crashed completely due to, apparently, a faulty Netgear modem. A BT Engineer called who replaced the modem with a BT Homehub and also replaced the main incoming socket.
All appeared well until some of weeks ago when I noticed that download speeds appeared to be dropping. At first I put this down to heavy traffic but it is now abysmal.
I can’t watch any live streaming at all.
On BBC iplayer it starts up then sits there for 30secs or so, then runs for 8secs then stops to load for 40secs before playing the next 8sec slot. Not good and therefore impossible to watch anything ‘live’. Ie. MotoGP, F1 etc.
Iplayer speed test reports 200kbs, just about sufficient to ‘stream’ radio.
Note that I have performed all the checks suggested on the BT website, including connecting directly to the ‘test’ port. All with the same result.
Also the PC is directly connected to the Home Hub, not by wireless.
After reading a number of post on this forum I checked in BT Home Hub Manager and got the following.
|Connection Information 10th June 2012, 16:10 |
|ADSL Settings |
I then left the unit powered up for a number of days and obtained the following results.
|Connection Information 13th June 2012, 2210 |
|ADSL Settings |
Note that the connection time shows 1 days, 01:36:54
This is strange as the unit has not been switched off at all and there hasn’t been any power cuts in the area.
Below are the result from BT Speedtester tonight at 11:55pm
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.22 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.58Mbps
I am somewhat perplexed, frustrated and angry that I have lost the ability to get any form of live streaming.
To be honest, I’m not quite sure what I am paying £26.80 per month for.
Can you help?
Looking at your stats, I can see that your on ADSL2. Have you recently recieved an email from BT about an adsl2+ upgrade? It would have been sent to your primary BT email address. The adsl2+ upgrade is part of BT new 21cn network. It enables you to go from ADSLMax (upto 8mb) to adsl2+ (upto 20mb).
However with your line being very long adsl2 or adsl2+ is very aggressive to any noise on your line causing more errors (CRC and HEC). These errors are the most likely reason for the resync.
With your line being approx 4.6km long (63db Attenuation) adsl2/2+ isn't going to make much of a difference. I would expect a IP profile of 1500kbps on AdslMax or 1750kbps on Adsl2+.
However with your line being so line adsl2/2+ could have made it unstable.
Your current noise margin is 11.1dB which is higher than the 6dB target. I would wait for a 3+days stable connection time and get the noise margin reset to 6dB. However if it does continue to resync (drop out and reconnect) I would get it back to ADSLMax. All these can be done by contacting the MODS.
What socket are you currently connected to?
What speeds were you getting before?
Thanks for your speedy reply.
Sadly I don't have any stats for before the problem so not sure what the speed was.
I'm currently connected to the main socket, not internal test socket as it made no difference.
Ref the current noise margin of 11dB. This was down to 6dB only a few days ago and still the speed was abysmal.
Hi John 46,
Thanks for your advice.
The home hub has been connected for the last 3 - 4days so I'm not sure what else I can do. See posted test results.
I have tested on the 'test' socket at the back of the removable cover of the master socket some 4 days ago and the results are the same.
As john46 has said, I would connected it to the test socket again. This will eliminate any internal wiring faults. I would then leave it connected and after 3+days of a stable connection (and if your still having trouble) I would get that noise margin to 6dB. If the line is then stable enough on 6dB it might drop down to 3dB noise margin(BT are trailing 3dB for stable connections). However if the Errors then start to increase again I would get it bak to 6dB.
But in the meantime:
1) wait for a 3+day stable connection, then contact Mods to get noise margin reset to 6dB
2) If router keeps resyncing I would consider going back to ADSLMax [G.992.1 (G.DMT)] as a adsl2/2+ connection can be unstable on long lines.
3) You can do a quite line test to check for any noise (dial 17070 opt.2). dull hum normal on cordless phones.
5) http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm Try out this guide
Thanks for the advice.
I'll connect to the test socket for the next few days and see what happens.
note I will be still connecting a telephone and filter. This is not negotiable as my wife is ill and may require medical attantion,