Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Line speed issues, DLM fault/port fault

HI everyone, again...

Having more problems with DLM not banding the correct speeds, I have a MAX line rate of 60mbps, and im only being allowed to use 48mbps of that.

I've had DLM banding issues for a while, and they always seem to impact me for some reason.

Could i be connected to a faulty port, this has started happening after a DSLAM failure in a cabinet, and 'coinsedently' kicked my port offline for 3 weeks (Only my port got broken).

Here are the router stats:

Screenshot_1.png

Have been online for 14 days and doesn't seem to be getting any better. The last reset was due to a BT Technician resetting the line profile, which stopped the intermittent drop outs i used to get, but i still had a better speed then!

Any ideas? Still think ive been put in a faulty port in the cab after all the problems ive had before, what would also be the best way to go forward with this? If i ring BT up and say "I need changing to a new port" they aren't going to do that, and im pretty sure theyd say my speeds are more then adequate, (Which they are, but i know my line isn't getting the maximum speed i know it can handle)

Probably me being picky, but id prefer over 52mbps when im paying for 80mbps in all fairness.

-Jaye.

*UPDATE*

Running the BTW checker showed that the BT Engineer didn't do hos job, and has banded me to a Infinity 1 speed. 

Can BT Reset the IP Profile remotely? Or is it something Openreach have to come out and do? 52mbps isn't what i pay for and it shouldn't be banded to that.

Screenshot_2.png

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Line speed issues, DLM fault/port fault

A faulty port is automatically flagged to Openreach via their automatic system which monitors all the ports etc in the cabinets. It is their infrastructure after all.

The only cards with port issues at present are at the exchanges and cabs listed below:

March PCP9

Barrow in Furness PCP63

Ambergate PCP10

Battersea PCP3

Haslington PCP68

Those are the only cabinets in the country with a card with a port issue. Are you in one of the listed exchange areas?

0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 24

The answer to the remote part of your question is simply Yes...

They can change you profile remotely without having to visit you or the dslam ... and in fact change/adjust small amounts of bandwidth once the profile is setup.

0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 4 of 24

What I see is a perfectly healthy connection with nominal SNRm's on both data paths with an uninterupted uptime of 14 days .... I'd say you've very little to complain about to be honest. If dslam ports have been changed in the past owing to equipment failure and BTo have made reparation, then sobeit ... it doesn't necessarily mean you will get the identical line profile you previously had ... a small decrease as is a small increase pot luck, often owing to dslam crosstalk issues.

And frankly in the scheme of things it's throughput that matters ... not the highest sync speed you can get. Enjoy it.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

@Jayebmx

Are you on Infinity 1, or Infinity 2?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

The speedtest shows infinity 2 looking at the upload speed IP Profile and throughput
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

@john46 wrote:
The speedtest shows infinity 2 looking at the upload speed IP Profile and throughput

Thanks John.

There is a large difference between the actual data rate and the max data rate. The SNR is correct, so it most likely excess errors which are causing DLM to restrict the connection speed to keep the error rate down.

Its unfortunate that all the recent home hubs, do not display error counts.

@Jayebmx

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Hi Keith,
Unable to determine if there is line noise as use a wireless handset. I'll have to buy a wired one and see.
Ive had issues like this for a while, as mentioned above I'm paying for 80, and my downstream is limited to 52mbps. Which is NOT what I pay for. I could be in the 60mbps range which would be better than 50, and actually worth paying for.

Ever since the DSLAM issue I've had endless problems making me think there's a problem with my Line.
I rang up and they fixed my drop outs but obviously limited it to 52mpbs.

-Jaye
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

@Jayebmx

The thing is that the noise margin is correct, and the max data rate shows plenty of available bandwidth, but the connection speed is being reduced.

If the line was in a banded profile, then I would expect to see a high noise margin, with your connection speed.

The only thing that would cause DLM to restrict the connection speed, would either be a high error rate, or a fault on the port.

Its not always possible to hear errors if they are out of the audible range, as they could be being induced from another circuit.

I think that this needs a closer look, as I agree with you that something is wrong.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 10 of 24

My opinions are based on my own connection which is maxing out at 55megs on fastpath and at an identical loop loss of 21. Chances are he's on fastpath also, but could be running up to level 16 interleave on the downward path which still gives 0 msecs latency .... but it does slightly starve linespeed coz of the overhead, by up to 5 megs.  😉

0 Ratings