cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Line through window frame

Our house is very old. The main BT box is an RC910.206.01. and was installed before we moved in 17 years ago. In the last 18 months, we've had BT Infinity installed.

The engineer took a feed from the RC910 to the new box he fitted. The landline and router are fed from the new box he installed.

The original main supply coming into the RC910 was run through a hole drilled in the wooden window frame. We want this window replaced with double glazing. I've been told, as an Infinity customer, the new box fitted recently is referred to as FTTC. I've also been told, as an FTTC subscriber, I can have the reparatory work done FOC by Open Reach.

I spent 1.5 hours this morning holding for an advisor. Eventually and after explaining my circumstance I was told it would cost me and I was "to phone 118500 for a local electrician". After all the hassle, I'm left none the wiser, frustrated and ready to jump off the nearest tall building.

Can anyone advise:

Is it as simple as buying a junction box and doing the work myself?

Do I have to get BT to do it?

As an Infinity subscriber, am I subscribed to FTTC?

If so, can I have the work done FOC or will I have to pay and if so, how much?

Please help!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Line through window frame

@Barnham I'm really sorry about the problems you had when speaking to the helpdesk.  As that part of the line is classified as being on the Openreach network they are only permitted to carry out the work required to relocate your line. This is referred to as a Shift and is free of charge as BT installed the cable through your window frame.  

We'll be happy to help you get that organised, please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

FTTC stands for fibre to the cabinet and is the technology used to supply your broadband it has no bearing on this work being chargeable or not.  

Cheers

Neil

Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi Neil,

Thank you so much for your speedy and great advice. I will be in touch very soon for your help in organising an Open Reach. Visit.

Again many thanks.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I have the same problem - an old house with telephone cabling entering the property through a wooden window / door frame. The junction box is attached to the wooden frame. It cannot be described as a master socket but is instead a very old tiny black bakelite box with wires coming out of it.

The wiring outside is corroded and tbh I am surprised the phone line and broadband actually work!

Can I contact Openreach to get this moved? The door and window above it are in desperate need of upgrading before the bad weather really hits. It leaks and is very draughty.

Thanks for your advice.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

@Barnham. Not sure what this RC910 connecting box is, can you up load a photo?
My understanding is that any rearrangement of wiring or connection boxes would be chargeable however you may need to seek advice from your CP.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Gosh! You're going back some time but I can tell you what I did. The double glazing was being fitted on a Monday and the earliest BT could come was the Wed. So, here's what I did:
1. I opened the old bakolite box and photographed the wiring.
2. Bought a roll of cable from Wicked.
3. I opened the "modern" box and photographed the wiring.
4. I resited the bakolite box in the porch.
5. Removed and disposed of the old cable.
6. Using the pics, I ran the new cable from one box to the other and job done.
THERE SHOULD BE TWO CABLES INTO THE BAKOLITE BOX. IDENTIFY THE MAIN SUPPLY ONE AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ALTER IT IN ANY WAY.
My understanding was the bakolite box is the supply from "the road". My logic was keep everything as was. All I did was reposition everything so no cable ran through the window frame. At the same time I renewed the old rotten cable. Please be aware I did this myself purely out of necessity. I do not suggest what i did was normal practice and would advise you to contact Open Reach first. The original cable through the window frame was most likely done by BT. In my case they offered to do the job foc but time was not on my side. Good luck!
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

@NeilO 

I have the same problem with the wire coming through the corner of the window and very old looking junction box on the windowsill. I'm looking to have the windows and sills replaced, is it still possible to have this old box relocated FOC?
Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

You would have to pay to have the cable re-routed 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.