cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jazzguy
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 314

Re: List of Routers to replace Home Hub 3.

I replaced my HH3 with the Billion Bipac 7700n - the scaled down version of the 7800n.

I've had 3 HH3s and all had a tendancy to re-boot in response to external line problems - with a resultant increase in snr and drop in download speed. The 7700n is much more robust in this respect - it resyncs every now and then, but snr and download speeds are maintained.

All of which is  a pity as the HH3 is an attractive router and has useful features such as power save.  Bt need to either provide a reliable high performance router or not bother to provide one at all. 

0 Ratings
Doct0r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 314

Compatible Routers

Hi. About to upgrade to broadband option 2 as 10gb is no longer enough. Have survived this long without a home hub but know that when the upgrade to infinity is available, I might need it then. Currently using a TP-Link 8840T, I know this won't be compatible with infinity but will the TL-R460 work? I don't need wireless or anything complicated. I don't know if it's worth the £29 fee for a HH3 when I can get the TL-R460 for less than half that but will the engineer refuse to connect to anything but a Home Hub. Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
jonstatt
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 314

Re: Compatible Routers

I have a feeling BT insist on you having a HH3 when installing Infinity even if you throw it away after. I am not sure.

Anyway, the top of the range Netgear WNDR4500 should work fine for those that want the dual-band 450MBps Wi-Fi. I am currently using this with a Netgear DG834 via PPPoE on an ADSL2+ connection. It does not support PPPoA so this will only work with very specific ADSL modems, but fine with any Infinity modem.

0 Ratings
jamjar62
Expert
Message 34 of 314

0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 314

In reply to Doctor. What £29 fee for HH3? It should be free with Infinity. Billing did make a mistake and put £49 ion my bill for the hub, but cancelled it as soon as I called them.

0 Ratings
jonstatt
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 314

The HH3 is free but you pay for delivery....6 pound something if I recall.

0 Ratings
TimNorton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 314

Hi Guys

we can add another one to the list Smiley Happy

Netgear WNDR3300 - old i know but still better than the HH3 B i have been putting up with for the last couple of months

just reset to fatory default, ran the setup wizard poped in bthomehub@btbroadband.com as user name and away you go!

just run a couple of tests

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

have been suffering from slow downs during evening/night for last couple of weeks - hope this may solve the problem - figers crossed Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 314

Yes, but £6 as you say, not £29.

0 Ratings
Doct0r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 314

Infinity isn't available for me right now. I want to upgrade from normal up to 20mb option 1 to option 2. I've never had a home hub but was led to understand that when infinity is available in my area it's a free upgrade (plus the activation fee). If necessary I'd rather have the home hub now than later when they could charge more.

0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 314

Ah, I understand now. But why do you want to get an HH3 now? What you've got should work equally well on option 2 as on option 1. An engineer won't need to visit you for a change in your non-infinity package. When you go to infinity they should supply the HH3 free (apart from the £6 delivery charge). I don't think they are likely to start charging for the hub.

Have they actually told you that it would cost you £29 to get an HH3? If they have never supplied you with a hub, I'd have expected it to be free to you. But then who knows how BT's minds work?

0 Ratings