cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doct0r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 314

Re: Compatible Routers

Earlier today when I went through the upgrade page to see what deal I was eligible for it showed £29 for the hub and £17 a month. Now it shows a different page as if I'm a new customer and just the £6 delivey for the hub and £18 a month. I'm totally confused but I think I'll go without it when I upgrade some time next month. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

0 Ratings
0x77
Beginner
Message 42 of 314

Hi guys. As a fairly technical user, I'm looking for something highly configurable (firewall-wise especially), and compatible with Infinity. I've done quite a bit of research and it looks to me like the best two replacement routers available are the Billion BiPAC 7800N, which you can find on amazon here, or the ASUS RT-N56u Diamond, which can also be found on amazon.

Now, to me, the ASUS wins out. For a start, it's cheaper. Secondly, it's much sexier (It'll be on show in the living room). Third, I've read about some potential CPU issues with the Billion 7800N, though for a 40up/10down connection, like the current Infinity package, you wont notice it. It only seems to become a problem on 100MB+ lines - but you never know, we might all get a free upgrade to 100u/40d if BT are feeling extra generous 😉 However... the Billion 7800N does sound as though it is far more customiseable and configurable.

I've not concerned myself with Wireless capabilities, but I expect both routers should be fairly equal in quality, range and speed.

Does anybody have any experience with both routers? Care to share what you've learned about either, if you have also researched them? I am leaning toward the ASUS, but if someone can provide some evidence to sway my opinion, I'll gladly recieve it.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
jamjar62
Expert
Message 43 of 314

Hi I have read alot of people are using the Asus RT-N56U ROUTER and all are happy ,not heard any negative reviews as yet here is a review 🙂

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/network-wifi/3304571/asus-rt-n56u-black-diamond-review/
JamJar62
0 Ratings
rjw65
Beginner
Message 44 of 314

BT Infinity No connection for Macbook Pro - Replacement router/modem?

Hi,

The problem I’m facing is that my Mac book Pro connection is intermittent through wireless and sometimes cuts out all together through Wireless and Ethernet for hours at a time. I don't know why, as BT insist its a problem with my Mac as all windows computers in my house connect fine (Slow). It may well be a problem with my Mac but my Mac connects fine to non-BT routers even HH2. I've only had a problem ever since upgrading to Infinity.

I've come to the end of my tether with it and just want it to work consistently, I don't really mind as long as speeds are decent, but can anyone recommend a replacement router that will definitely work with Mac and if possible can port forward (unlike HH3).

Thanks

Rj

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 45 of 314

Re: BT Infinity No connection for Macbook Pro - Replacement router/modem?

I have merged your post with the existing thread on the same subject.

If you would like to read this thread from the start, you will get plenty of advice.

There is a short summary here Home Hub 3 Replacements

0 Ratings
mickb
Beginner
Message 46 of 314

Having spent the weekend resetting the homehub every 5 mins, I went to PCworld to buy ANY other router (not my first choice of shops, but where else is there on a bank holiday monday)

I can now confirm that the 29 quid NETGEAR WNR2200 works a treat. All day with 2 wired desktops, 3 wireless laptops, and a couple of smartphones and not one problem.

0 Ratings
synner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 314

Hi,

Running a Cisco E4200 V1 here, very good performance, easy setup, and some great features like inbuilt DNLA server, print server, file sharing etc.

It's also able to run Tomato and DDWRT firmware... Tomato runs very well.

0 Ratings
fu21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 314

Re: BT Infinity No connection for Macbook Pro - Replacement router/modem?

Why not try an apple airport extreme base station.

This can replace the HH3

And it works

0 Ratings
Alan63
Expert
Message 49 of 314

Re: List of Routers to replace Home Hub 3.

Second that on apple airport extreme ... or time capsule if you want to have wireless back up too.
jamjar62
Expert
Message 50 of 314

Re: List of Routers to replace Home Hub 3.

Or if you want just one box try the draytek 2750n they get alot of positive feedback on here 🙂
JamJar62
0 Ratings