cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonB2
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Local devices cannot communicate with each over over Hub 6

I have just upgraded from Hub 3 to 6. I have replicated the old configuration, 2 PCs wifi connected to hub plus printer in ethernet port on hub. All worked OK on Hub 3. On Hub 6, PCs connect to Internet OK. Each PC shows network with other PC under Windows Explorer, Hub Manager shows connections to both PCs and printer, However printer is shown as offline, cannot send documents to it. One PC cannot see Public folders on other PC. BT Help desk suggested split wifi frequencies and assign channel manually. Makes no difference.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Local devices cannot communicate with each over over Hub 6

Welcome to this user forum.

Changing the home hub will present a different connection to Windows. When you added this new connection it would have asked you whether its a private connection or a public connection.

If you selected a public connection, file and printer sharing would be disabled. You need to change it to a private connection and make it discoverable.

Here is one link https://tinkertry.com/how-to-change-windows-10-network-type-from-public-to-private

And another http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/change-your-network-location-settings-3473563/

or do your own Google search.

0 Ratings
SimonB2
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks, have tried this and it gives a partial solution. PCs can see each other over the network but there is still a problem with the printer. I have the printer connected to the ethernet port on the hub, as I did for the old Hub 3 (printer is pld, not wireless). It is visible as a network printer but it shows as offline. One of the PCs is running Vista, which has the benefit of a network map (why was it not continued in Windows 10 ???). This shows the printer as detected, but says it cannot be placed on the map.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Does the printer have a static IP address assigned on the printer itself, or are you just relying on the home hubs DHCP server?

For non-roaming devices, its best to give them static IP adresses outside of the DHCP range, and just use DHCP for roaming devices that connect to other networks as well.

You may also need to run the printer setup disc again.

0 Ratings