cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CD1
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Locked out of BT email - Password not recognised despite re-setting it several times?

Go to solution

Hi folks 

3 days ago I could not log in to bt emails getting the 5 stage box suggesting my account had been compromised. I went through the suggestions, PC virus free, eventually managed to reset my password but I still could not log in, although the new password enabled me to log in to the My Bt page thus this forum. I spent via 3 separate phone calls to the off shore call centres a full 3 hours onto their technical support people.

On two occassions they actually gave me a new password over the phone for my account. Both times I still could not log in. We tried the BTyahoo log in page and bt.com, neither worked. They told me that my account has not been locked but could offer no solution.

I did try deleting all cookies, and I have tried logging in from other networks using a windows based PC and both Chrome and Internet Explorer 11. Each time I get the five stage box, or the message "try again with correct details and password."

Following my last phone call to BT I was promised to get a call back yesterday but there was no call.

In the meantime I am preparing to give up on this and move to Gmail for all emails. It is enough to drive you bonkers!

If anyone has an obvious solution your help will be massively appreciated.

I am running Windows 7 on my lap top.

Thank you....

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Locked out of BT email - Password not recognised despite re-setting it several times?

Go to solution

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

StuartH
Message 3 of 6

Re: Locked out of BT email - Password not recognised despite re-setting it several times?

Go to solution

Hi CD1

Send us an email using the contact the mods link in my profile, I can have this email issue investigated for you.

Thanks

Stuart

CD1
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you, I have submitted my response and I appreciate your actions.

0 Ratings
CD1
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi folks

One aspect of my original topic still concerns me in respect of the phone contact I had with the off shore call centres. When I started the phone call the automated system mentioned that we will never ask you for your password details. And fair enough, they never did.

However, when everything else failed the call handler told me that he was resetting my password and "your new password is xyz" quoted verbally. I still could not log in.

However, consider the implications of what happened and what it means for your password security? The fact that a call centre worker has the authority to change your password and take possession of it if he/she was inclined to do so, surely that raises Big questions as to the security of your email account!

Would you agree with me that it is best to assume that your BT internet account could be viewed or accessed by people unknown to you and unauthorised?

Food for thought perhaps?

Your comments will be welcome.

I do seek to get my access back to BT emails however I will not be using BT as my preferred email provider in future. Having set up a gmail account, in the absence of a solution from BT, already I am much prefering their set up.

0 Ratings
CD1
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

It has been two weeks since I lost my email BT email access (password problems - locked out) having given up and having moved to an alternative email provider.

Tonight I got a phone call from BT. and having escalated my original query, I am now back on line and able to access my emails and able to reply to them.

Throughout this difficult process I have dealt with people entirely from off shore call centres. Frustrating though the process was, I would like to thank those of you that resolved my problem. It was comforting to know that my BT email access issues were not at all the fault of any thing that I had done. Indeed it was confirmed that it was the result of an issue at their (BT) end.

Thank you.

0 Ratings