cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KennyMillar
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Long old line needs some TLC. Who do I speak to?

Go to solution

I've been trying to get BT to look at my line, but they just keep saying that it tests out ok.

The issue is that it runs for 1/3 of a mile through a forrest before it gets to my property.

The line is old and sagging in places.

My broadband speeds have been getting slower and slower. Originally estimated at 49 Mbps, installed last year at 19 Mbps, and now over time dropped to 6 Mbps (on a good day) to about 1.9 Mbps on rainy (most) days. Voice calls are quiet too.

A BT Engineer I met in the street (working on someone else's problem) said my line was old and stretched.

I've tried telling BT this, but the people on the live chat only interrested in running the auto-test and telling me there is no issue.

Same engineer told me that I was connected to an exchange quite far away, and that there is now a better placed street box I should be connected to.

How can I get BT to properly check the actual physical condition of the line, and replace any parts that are stretched / sagging or corroded?

How can I check if there is a better place to be connected to now, like that engineer said?

I'm certain I could get better speeds if someone from BT would take this seriously. Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Long old line needs some TLC. Who do I speak to?

Go to solution
The network is owned and maintained by Openreach not BT consumer your provider if you are on infinity you would be already connected to the street cabinet not the exchange

Unless there is a fault such as line noise on a phone call Openreach will not replace the line
0 Ratings
KennyMillar
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

John46, Thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll just need to wait until it dies completely. Oh joy!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Unfortunately yes
0 Ratings
KennyMillar
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thank you!
0 Ratings