cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JustinW0001
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Long running One-Way line quality problem.

I have a problem with my line whereby for about a third of calls we sound very muffled to the outside caller - though they sound entirely clear to us. It doesn't matter who initiates the call. The fault is repeatable with different phone, with all internal wiring / equipment disconnected and the phone connected to the test soocket.

Other people on the same exchange (Arbroath) have reported the same problem - one neighbour was having a second phone line installed but abandoned it when BT simply couldnt get a line without this problem. Their engineer tried several different "pairs" and had equipment changed in the exchange without result. 

I have twice now reported the fault - the first time an engineer did visit - he eventually decided the fault was in the exchange and said something would be done, but no improvement materialised. Just getting to the point of someone coming out took hours on the phone to the BT "helpline" and I couldn't facing going through that again until last week when I thought I'd have another go. I duly went through the whole ponderous buiness of the online fault reporting system and several hours later someone rang me. They said that there was no obvious fault on the line and would ring angain in a few days to organise an engineer's visit. When they did ring me - the person just said that the fault was closed and no visit was possible. The problem isn't fixed - is there someway of actually progressing this to someone who can actually do something rather than just read me irrelevant scripts off a computer?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Long running One-Way line quality problem.

unfortunately the only way to get an engineer is via BT Faults on 151 as Openreach are not public facing they only deal with service providers
0 Ratings
JustinW0001
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. but the problem is that I've tried that and they simply refuse to engage, and waste a lot of your time doing it. Dealing with BT has now become extraordinarily frustrating experience and for most people they have an absolute monopoly.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 4

Hi JustinW0001,

Thanks for posting. Sorry you're having problems with the line. I can appreciate how frustrating it's been trying to get it sorted. I'll be happy to lend a hand with this. Just drop me an email with your details. You'll get the 'contact us' link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings