Port | Status | TxPkts | RxPkts | Collisions | Tx B/s | Rx B/s | Up Time
WAN | PPPoA | 5941381 | 10526070 | 0 | 5069 | 6967 | 33:27:02
LAN | 10M/100M | 8178917 | 5370685 | 0 | 10045 | 17437 | 33:27:37
WLAN | 11M/54M/130M | 4237342 | 2392084 | 0 | 15462 | 2376 | 26:28:57

ADSL Link | Downstream | Upstream
Connection Speed | 13189 kbps | 630 kbps
Line Attenuation | 21.0 db | 17.1 db
Noise Margin | 3.4 db | 7.7 db

I started using BT as an ISP about 6 years ago, and have been very happy with the service. I always belive that keeping you phone line provider and your internet provider isteh best choice, then they can't blame each other for faults. I moved to a new house in mid February 2011, and signed a new contract with BT so the line charge wasn't so bad. It was installed on mid March, on the same day the internet was working at an incredible speed 17.8Mbps. This speed was constant (really, no issues or slow downs at all). Until mid September 2012 (17 months after the line was installed), when the speed dropped to a shocking 10.4Mbps. I contacted BT help via the online chat advisor. The advisor told me that the trouble was due to "an outage in the Birmingham exchange, full service should resume in a few days, and make sure to restart the router after a few days". *NOTE- I'm about 125miles from this exchange, but didn't think it was weird*.
I did this, but the speeds were the same. A few weeks later (hoping they would have been better, sadly not the case) *NOTE- there was a 24/7 constant connection for these 2 weeks*, I contacted BT help again via online chat advisor. This time they did admit there was a line fault and asked me to "restart the router, and run a speedtest". They said there would be tests done on my line and a response would be emailed to me in a few days. Several days later I received the response, claiming there was a fault, and it had been fixed.
I ran a speedtest again to find the same results, 10.4Mbps. 😞
A few days ago I once again contacted BT help via online chat. The advisor did say there was a fault, and that I needed to upgrade my router (to the Home Hub 3), but couldn't be sent one for free as my contract had expired. They said I needed the new router (the Home Hub 3) to continue with my original speeds. After asking if there were any other routers that would work, they said yes, there were plenty of 3rd party hardware that would work perfectly. I asked if the Netgear DGN2000 would be fine, and got a yes reply. This was odd, as that was the router I was using ever since moving house, now 18months ago.
The advisor then claimed there were incorrect settings and I would need to contact the Tech team.

Sorry for explaining so much up to this point, but as my GamGam always said "do it properly so everyone knows the details". My questions are:
is it a coincidence that my speeds slow down towards the end of my contract?
is there a chance my speeds are being 'throttled'?
can my settings be wrong, if they're never changed?
if I leave my connection on 24/7 for an entire week, will the speeds return to normal?

I thank anyone in advanced for any assistance they can provide.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Long time customer, 1st time help seeker, slow speeds

your speed is not being throttled and it is pure coincidence that there was a slow down of speed near contract end.

are you connected to the master socket or better still the test socket?  do you have any other extension sockets in other rooms.

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 12

Pls delete the first 5 lines of data under ADSL port.

A hacker's dream.  😉

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 12

@bishop27828 wrote:

Broadband availability overview-

~snip~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your questions.
is it a coincidence that my speeds slow down towards the end of my contract? 
There will be a technical reason for it ...
is there a chance my speeds are being 'throttled'?
Not in a manual sense, although from an automatic sense, possibly, owing to technical issues.
can my settings be wrong, if they're never changed?
No, they appear to be correct, running ADSL /ppp over ATM  ADSL2
if I leave my connection on 24/7 for an entire week, will the speeds return to normal?
You need to leave your connection on 24/7 anyway, it's designed that way ... and yes it may well improve.
Leave it connected and post back in with linestats after that time.
And whilst your waiting .... answer IMJ's questions in post 2, which will help diagnose the issues I talked about.  😉 
0 Ratings
bishop27828
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Hey all, firstly thank you for replying and helping, secondly I'm sorry about the delay in responding, I didn't get chance to check the forums at lunchtime, thridly thank you to the mod for removing the sensitive info, sometimes I keep forgetting there are malicious people out there.

The router is connected to the master socket at the moment, I did try the test socket, but didn't see any improvement (I guess I should have waited longer). Is there any harm in having the router connected to the test socket all the time?

I haven't tried the quiet line test, but will certainly do when i can find some rechargable batteries or the phone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

there is no problem connecting to the test socket all the time it would just disable any extensions in use in your home
0 Ratings
bishop27828
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Hello all, sorry for the massive pause in replying, I completed the suggested method 3 times (connecting to the master socket, leaving a constant connection for 5days, rebooting and checking the stats.) After each reboot, the connection speeds were the same. Last week I tried to complete the 'quiet line test' as IMJOLLY mentioned, but had no dial tone at all. Today, there's still no dial tone and (although my previous house didn't have this device) the small white box on the outside of the building is broken (see attached photo/link).

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr56/bishop27828/2012-11-28115635.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr56/bishop27828/2012-11-28115622.jpg

Any thoughts?  (thanks again in advanced)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Hi you need to contact BT faults on 151 and report the no dial tone until then your broadband will not improve
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 12

Judging by the photos I'm not sure that box does anything, it seems to me that isan old cable, and bypassed by a new phone cable .... although I may be wrong.

Either way ... you do need to do  as John says, contact BT.

0 Ratings
bishop27828
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

All done within the past 48hours, emailed BT (as the BT website suggested) and had a callback today, the Indian/Pakistani lady tried to run through the same suggestions as the previous help-assistants, so I stopped her in mid-speech explaining what I had tried. She's booked an engineer to come out on Tuesday 11th December.

I too couldn't see the point in the white plastic box on the exterior of the house, but noticed that my neighbors have them too, and 3 houses had their lines installed either earlier this year or within the last few months also have these boxes (the neighbor's phoneline in the photos provided is only a few months old).

0 Ratings