cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lancsman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Looking for clarity on my BT Sport options please

I am having some trouble working best options for my BT Sport from 1 August.

I have recieved the BT e-mail advising of changes on 1 August

Currently I have BT Infinity (with call package), and the access to BT Sport on PC

- and via App on my Tablet.

I currently watch BT Sport either on the PC - or via the Tablet (Chromecasting this to either of 2 x TVs in other rooms).

My router (and all other BT kit) is in an upstairs study.

The 2 x TVs are downstairs in separate rooms

It would be impractical to connect by cabel from router etc. to the TVs

I want to be able to watch the Euro Champions League / Premier League / English Rugby and Moto GP

The options - as I understand it - are:

A) Add BT Sport to my existing package - by getting BT TV - at what appears to be 'Zero' cost (albeit with £35 activiation fee)

or

B) Let the current 'automatic' default as described in the BT e-mail - roll over and swallow the £5 per month.

I do not know whether either option requires more kit (and is this suppllied as part of the deal) - or whether I can more easily just let the default roll over.

Either way - will I still have the ability to watch all the content I want (as above) on both my PC and Tablet?

Also will I still be able to 'cast' the tablet feed to any of the TVs?

Thanks for any clarity

Regards

John

5 REPLIES 5
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Looking for clarity on my BT Sport options please

The BT TV box you will get for free for 12 months will be a basic YouView box - the one you cannot record on.

This - or any other YouView+ box (the + indicating it has a recording capability) - will have to be connected to your HomeHub. The much preferred option is a direct cable link but you can use the PowerLine adpators that send the signal over your home power cables - albeit some people have mixed results. The powerlines aren't free AFAIK.

Anyway if you sign up for 'free' BT TV you would still be able to access your existing BT Sport account on a PC,Phone,Tablet and chromecast these to your TV but these will just provide the same functionality for your purposes as a basic BT TV box.

Note that if you ever want to e.g. record a sports programme to watch later you will need a YouView+ box. These are very good in my opinion.

You mentioned 2 TVs. The BT TV YouView box will only be able to connected to one TV at a time via spare HDMI port on your TV. You would be able to chromecast from your tablet to the other TV at the same time.

Why not take a look at: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv-packages/?s_cid=con_FURL_tv-packages

I assume the benefit of taking a YouView box is that you get 'free' sport without having to pay £5/month.

You could sign up for a starter box (the activation fee shown is £14, not £35) get the free sport for a year and not actually use the box AFAIK and stick with your current setup.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Just realised the £14 activation fee is a new customer offer. It is £35 for existing customers 😞

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/add-tv

Only the £10/month Entertainment Plus is the same price for new and existing customers - i.e. no activation fee and a 'free' YouView+ box (£149 in the shops) and 25 Extra Channels for £10/month - can have BT Sport on that also.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

@Telecom89 wrote:

Just realised the £14 activation fee is a new customer offer. It is £35 for existing customers 😞

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/add-tv

Only the £10/month Entertainment Plus is the same price for new and existing customers - i.e. no activation fee and a 'free' YouView+ box (£149 in the shops) and 25 Extra Channels for £10/month - can have BT Sport on that also.

also meant to add - the other benefit of having and using a YouView or YouView+ box is that you could pay an additional £4/month and get BT Sport channels in HD - which does look a fair bit better than the picture you get with the BT sport app.

0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 5 of 6

Also, BT TV Starter costs £4 per month from month 13 (not very well indicated on the website).

0 Ratings
lancsman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Many thanks for the information folks - much appreciated.

The direct linking of a YouView box from router to TV is not a practical option - due to layout of the house.

Do not need connections to two TVs - so that is not an issue.

I would obviously prefer not to have to buy boosters - and assuming the existing capability to Chromecast from my tablet to one of the TVs works OK then that will do for me. - but accept may have to reconsider if there are problems with that.

I am expecting there will be some kind of update to the BTSport App come Aug 1st to handle this.

No doubt there will be a few hiccups and this forum will be busy come that date.

Thanks again

0 Ratings