Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
denyason
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Looking to switch from Virgin Media to BT but need some advice

Go to solution

My new built house has an XNTE situated at the front of the house so have no ideal where the "master socket" will go.  In the house there are about 6 phone plugs each square and mirror finished.  Currently the VM router is in first floor lounge to the front (large 3 story house) and this lounge is rarely used for tv, gaming etc...Ideally I would like the BT router in my rear ground floor extention where most of the BT tv will be watched and so my PS3, Wii U get direct etherent connection to the BT hub.  Problem is if wired from the front XNTE, externally via the wall would need about 20-25 metres of cabling- not ideal is it?

I'm looking to get Bt infinity 2 with 76meg.

A compromise would be having the router same locale as the VM router on first floor lounge and have the BT vision box downstairs connected via powerline adaptors whilst also connected to the PS3, Wii U.  Currently I get half the speeds via powerline adaptor to the actual full speed when connected directly, which is 30 and 60 meg.  Would this setup give me sufficient speeds for online gaming, watching HD content via BT's broadband.

Could someone give me advice on which setup is best or if it doesn't matter(bear in mind I want the best speeds for Bt tv, Ps3) :-

-router first floor with downstairs, powerline plug connects BT Vision, PS3 and Wii U,

-router ground floor connected to BT Vision, PS3, Wii U with powerline plugs upstairs for wi-fi, pc...

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Looking to switch from Virgin Media to BT but need some advice

Go to solution

The Openreach engineer may/will just bypass the xNTE and fit a new master socket. He should fit this where you want. It may be possible to turn one of your phone sockets into the new master socket. Obviously you will need to discuss the best options with the engineer.

If the modem can not be installed in the extension room and you are prepared to run Ethernet cable outside using CAT6 you will not get any drop in speed up to 100 meters so you could have your Homehub router in your ground floor extension. This would be a better option than powerline adaptors, which as you have found do loose speed.

If you have to use Powerline adaptors then make sure they are at least the 500Mbps ones and preferably 1Gbps one.

denyason
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

thanks for the help gg30340

shame i only have 200mbps powerline adapters which i only recently installed due to the pain of only having a mac and which cost me £80 each (been gathering dust).  Your info has made up my decision to have the router downstairs.

I'd rather not want to go through the process of buying those faster plugs with the complicated connecting to a network process (bring back the old plug and play first gen net plugs).

One question:  Would the external wiring incur any cost to me?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

It should all be included in the install except possibly the running of the CAT6 cable if that is required after install. This  would only be required if he installs modem and homehub where cable comes into house and you have to move homehub to extension.

Hopefully though the engineer will put your modem and homehub in the extension room so CAT6 will not be needed. If he does that then the cable from the xNTE box to the new master socket will just be part of the install.