cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Loss of Bt E-mail through Windows Live Mail

Windows Live Mail on my laptop will not send or receive BT e-mails, this is coupled with a problem with my wife’s i-pad (same BT account but different e-mail address) which receives BT mail but cannot send.  Both i-pad and computer connect to the web OK and there is no problem using Hotmail on both devices. The BT e-mail programs worked OK through my BT Hub 3 at home. And at an overnight stay at a UK Hotel. The problem has arisen on aboard Queen Mary 2 using the ships satellite internet connection whilst cruising the Atlantic to Canada, and has used up precious expensive Internet time.

Does the fact that the BT Hub has been turned off at home have any bearing?

What should the port settings be on the devices? I-Pad shows Outgoing Port SMTP as 465 Incoming as 110, SSL ‘on’. Windows Live Mail on laptop shows Outgoing Port SMTP as 587 Incoming port as 110. Info from BT website says Outgoing should be 25 Incoming should be 110.

In my Windows Live account for BT  Incoming Mail the Servers Tab  “Log on using secure password authentication” is not checked. POP3 is listed.

Likewise under Advance tab Outgoing (SMTP) “This Server Requires a Secure Connection” is not selected. 

I receive the following error when trying to send mail via BT

Quote:-

Server Error: 522

Server Response: 522 Your message has not been sent as you are accessing your email over an unsecure or untrusted connection. Visit www.bt.com/emailcodes  for advice on using secure connections.

Server: 'mail.btinternet.com' An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server.

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC61

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 587

Secure(SSL): No

Unquote.

The fact is that the ships internet connection is unsecure like any internet café etc. Why this message Any suggestions please.

Note 😞www.bt.com/emailcodes offer no fix)

To add further to the confusion I can access BT mail direct to send/receive mail this way but have to be on line which is again using precious internet time to compose e-mails. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Loss of Bt E-mail through Windows Live Mail

Try the settings shown on this page

The new BT Mail and calendar

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Try changing the setting to

Servers: mail.btinternet.com

Incoming Port 995

Security SSL

Outgoing Port 465

Security SSL

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

@Silversurfer815 wrote:

The problem has arisen on aboard Queen Mary 2 using the ships satellite internet connection whilst cruising the Atlantic to Canada, and has used up precious expensive Internet time.

Does the fact that the BT Hub has been turned off at home have any bearing?

Server Error: 522

Server Response: 522 Your message has not been sent as you are accessing your email over an unsecure or untrusted connection.

The fact is that the ships internet connection is unsecure like any internet café etc. Why this message Any suggestions please.

Hi.

Th problem is due to you trying to use the BTinternet mail server whillst connected to a non BTinternet connection. This is due to the migration to Critical Path from Yahoo!, and wiill cause continued issues for a lot of people doing this. CP seem more strict than Yahoo!

Frankly if you don't want to alter the smtp server name (e.g. smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk - making sure that your full email address is also in the settings), then your best option is to use the webmail system.

Unfortunately this is something else that BT/CP have not mentioned in any documentation along with other issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Keith, you may be a "sage" but posting a link that cannot be read by someone who is not connected to the BT network in an attempt to help someone experiencing email problems because they are not connected to the BT network isn't exercising that wisdom and calm judgement you possess.

In the short term, I suggest the Questioner could use a Word Processor program to compose the emails then cut and paste the results into BT's webmail so as to minimise the time wasted online.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

It should improve security and prevent connections from all over the world. Its going to be inconvenient, but you can always use webmail, which is probably what most people are going to be doing while abroad.

Also, if you use an e-mail client at home, configured to use IMAP, you get full synchronisation.

The alternative is to use something like Gmail, making sure you use their optional enhanced security, to prevent access from unauthorised devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@TheLurker wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Keith, you may be a "sage" but posting a link that cannot be read by someone who is not connected to the BT network in an attempt to help someone experiencing email problems because they are not connected to the BT network isn't exercising that wisdom and calm judgement you possess.

@TheLurker

This forum is intended for BT Broadband customers, and they can use my help website while connected to the BT network.

If they are not a BT customer, then they can use their own ISPs forums, or pay for access to BT Wifi.

My personal website has a very limited bandwidth, and therefore is restricted to those people, whom the information is relevant.

Doing it this way, also eliminates web spiders and most hackers.

Highlighted
Message 8 of 11

Thanks Keith Beddoe for the links to information and especially Andy-N who confirmed my suspicion that the Migration from Yahoo to BT/CP might at the root of the problem. To “gg30340” the settings you gave did not work in fact I couldn’t even connect to receive the error message. The weird thing is that I was able to send/receive BT mail OK via ‘Windows Live Mail’ by the free onshore Wi-fi   setup at the Boston, USA cruise terminal using original settings, but back on board ship could not send. (the on board internet  Manager is not much help) It looks to be a problem using a Satellite Connection. Previously on board this ship and others cruises I have had no problems with satellite connections. It looks like the only answer is to keep on using Hotmail on board and research fully when back in UK.  Have not met any other passengers using BT so cannot confirm it is only my setup.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Sorry not to have been much help, enjoy the rest of your holiday. I hope you are having beter weather than in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 11

gg30340 Thanks for the reply but low and behold all up and running again with no alterations to settings ect. I can only think there was a problem with BT as both i-pad and Netbook with Windows Live mail are receiving and sending OK now.

0 Ratings