Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Loss of infinity to 524kbps

Hi hope someone can help please

just come back from holiday to find my infinity really slow, think it was getting slower before I went away but when we got back it had trouble even loading emails.

I did a speedtest using bt speedtest and got at 4pm 584kbps upload 666 then again at 21.10 and got 574kbps and upload 754.

I rang BT and an engineer woke us up on Easter Sunday to come and have a look, he got 21meg but this was after I had removed the power cable from the bt modem and replaced it again, 21meg is still slower than my previous speeds but he said leave it 10 days and see.  He kindly replaced the modem in case it was causing a problem.  It was great for a little while and then when I logged on at 21.20 speedtest showed 525kbps.  I reset the modem and the speed came up again.

woke up this morning to find speed again 557kbps and only comes up when modem reset.

Any ideas please

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Loss of infinity to 524kbps

So you reset it and it goes to 21Mb?

Then when does it go to 557k?
0 Ratings
hazelst3
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I have had the same problem for 3 moths now. BT engineer has been out only last Saturday and tested the line and equipment but could not find a fault. How do I change supplier part way through a contract?

0 Ratings
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

I am trying to monitor when the drop occurs but it has certainly dropped the last 2 evenings and when I went to bed last night I had infinity but this morning when I woke up it had gone again.

We are about 1 mile from the green box and prior to infinity after lots of hard work by me I managed to get 1meg speed as we are over 5km from exchange.  When we were on broadband rain seemed to affect the signal and low and behold it has been raining the last few days.  The engineer that came yesterday mentioned asking for a boost job which I think allows them more time to test etc not sure whether I should just ring up again but the problem I have found previously is when it is intermittent it is hard for them to diagnose.

I am using an imac that is hard wired, my husband uses an ipad wirelessly and some times I use the iphone wirelessly but it is on the mac where I am noticing the speed drop as my husband has only been checking his emails rather than streaming anything.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 13

Do you have to leave it on overnight?
0 Ratings
nomadd
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Yep, mine has started doing this again. Switch the HH3 off and on again and it's OK. But now, every day I come back to the PC (I switched the PC off overnight, but not HH3 or router) and it's 500k if I'm lucky. Switch HH3 off and on, and it's immediately back to 34Meg. It never did this for the first three months, but then started doing it once per month, then once every week, and now every single day. Weird. Might be time to ask for a HH3 replacement?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 13

Does it do it every day at the same time? Mine does it exactly 12 hours after a reboot.

0 Ratings
rickydg
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Jenfa, i suggest you contact the mods through the link in my sig. They will look in to your problem for you. They are far better at solving problems than india.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Hi

yes I leave modem and hh3 on all the time as advised and put imac into sleep mode.

I have had a follow up call from India who when I told I had same problem last night and this morning was incredibly helpful, a lovely lady who joked about the engineer coming out on a Bank Holiday, I told her that he had changed the modem but she thinks that it is the equipment so has ordered a new one to be sent out, not sure if this is a new hub or modem??  She will ring back on Wed night and hopefully I will have received it by then, also had follow up text to tell me about the call.

From what she was saying it seems there may be faulty equipment out there and as I can see from the forums I am not alone with this fault.  Funny when I had HH2 and had isolated the fault to the equipment they kept sending out engineers rather then sending me a new hub as they didn't believe me.

I was connected to infinity in Dec and had the new hub from then, just like you it was fine for the first 3 months, is that how long they are built to last Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
rickydg
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

There does seem to be a rogue batch of HH3's out there, although BT haven't acknowledged that. Most people find that a new one sorts their problems. Fingers crossed 😉
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings