cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scardy
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Loss of phone line, no dial tone but broadband still working?

I have looged a fault with bt for this issue VOL012-*********, but no engineer turned up yesterday to look at it. I have tested 2 different phones in the master test socket and still have the same problem, no dial tone but broadband is working ok. How do BT get away with treating its customers like this?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Loss of phone line, no dial tone but broadband still working?

BT do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers. BT do not get any special treatment.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Did you have an appointment booked for an engineer?

If so why not ring BT to check they actually booked it in the first, you see contrary to what some people on this forum say, not naming names but just because an engineer fails to show it doesn't necessarily mean it's the engineers fault or even Openreaches fault......

It's happened to me before, waited patiently until 2pm once, gave the engineer a bit of lea-way because I'm nice like that but no one showed.... After calling only turned out the appointment was never even booked, apparently the fault got stuck in some kind queuing system and never made it to Openreach.......
0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

@Scardy, this is exactly what happened to our phone line last September! The phone line was just mush, there was no dial tone, but we were able (just) to send email and look at certain web pages, but it was painfully slow. I tried everything, like you, no improvement. I got in touch with BT, they said there was a fault on the line, I said 'it's been fine for years why now?' BT sent an OR engineer, he turned up on time, it was a very enlightening time for me to be sure! He showed me the 'drop cable' that the phone signal came into our property on - 50 years old! Rubber outer, two strands of copper cable with cardboard insulation between them! I also found a big cut in the cable on the wall of our place, for the life of me that looked like vandalism. He arranged for a new armoured cable to be put in across our front lawn, and hey presto, all was well! With the confidence I had in that, we've got Infinity now, a new master socket and there's no going back. I hope this helps & it all gets sorted out out quickly for you.
0 Ratings