cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liam548
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Lost 5mb+ on my infinity over last few days...why?

I connected on 17th Jan at a constant 75mb (or extremely close) and 18.5mb up that was via ethernet and wireless.

The last few days with nothing changed has seen speed tests drop to just below 70mb download and around 14mb up.

Why would this be?

😞

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Lost 5mb+ on my infinity over last few days...why?

It could be because of noise or fault on the line causing DLM to lower the speed to stabilise the line. If the line stabilises DLM will start to slowly increase your speed. This could take a few weeks to achieve.  I suspect that BT will not do anything about a drop from 75Mbps to 70Mbps which you would probably not notice with out doing a speed test.

0 Ratings
Liam548
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Could it be because I did a hard reset of the router in order to try and rectify the issue with the wireless dropping down to max 40mb download (see my other thread I started on these forums)

If that is the case how can I be sure that the DLM will start and will indeed get me back to the speed I know the line is capable of?

Thanks

Liam

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

One reset of your Homehub should not have caused a problem. It is only if you do repeated resets that DLM may kick in. There is no guarantee that DLM will restore your speeds to what you were getting and as I said, I doubt BT will do anything to help. They will no doubt quote your estimated speeds and that you are within the range.

If you don't know your estimated speed range use this link

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Liam548
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

cheers, just seems a tad ridiculous that the first time I turn power off to the hub 5 since January and now I have lost 5mb download. Yes its not much but come on, why should it happen?

I know it has as I do at least one speed test per day to check.

0 Ratings
clairelouise2
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

this is the reason I'm reluctant to switch to a HH5... as I posted in another thread, 2 switch offs of the OR modem and we lost 10mb... really it should be able the tell the difference between a switch off and a fault.
0 Ratings
Liam548
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

could you not get it back Claire?

0 Ratings
clairelouise2
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

this only happened at the weekend, so just waiting on the dlm to increase it again. Hopefully we will get it back.
0 Ratings
GarethjWilliams2014
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Mine has done the same, upload has stayed the same though, download has gone down by 10 meg to 65
0 Ratings
Liam548
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

yes Gareth my upload seems ok too.

Are BT aware of this ridiculous situation, what can we do?

Did you reset your router too Gareth?

0 Ratings