cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Lost or Stolen Home Hub Tab

Hi, I accidentally took my Mother-in-Law's Router Tab / Card home that holds her wireless access codes. I sent it back via post but when the envelope arrived it was empty. I realise the card could be anywhere but it could also be with the postman or with someone at local sorting office and they can associate the passwords with the address on the envelope. Please can someone advise if this is a security risk and is there any urgent action that needs to be taken? What makes it worse is that a van pulled up on her drive yesterday but drove off when she opened the door. We are now wondering if this was a bad coincidence or something more sinister. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Many Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lost or Stolen Home Hub Tab

I don't know the full implications, but surely if you change your WiFi key from the default one on the tab this will reduce any risk of anyone 'stealing' your connection? Be sure to change the default admin password too?

Looking at the tab on my HH4 there isn't anything to identify an actual address from it so the van must have been coincidence?

I guess if you ask BT nicely they might send you a new hub (at a cost)?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

did you change the admin and wireless passwords from the passwords on the card?  are the passwords also on label on base of router?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 6

We haven't changed anything yet so access codes are still the same ones on the tab. Is it easy to do? Not sure if Mother-in-Law would have the know how to change code and admin password and I'm 180 miles away from her! Don't want to add to her stress by asking her to do this if not absolutely necessary. Do you know what worst case scenario would be? Would it be that someone could just surf the Internet off the back of her connection if sitting outside or could someone hack her laptop if she was online? Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

to change any of the passwords you need to know the existing passwords hence why I asked if there was a label oin the base with the passwords.

if someone was able to access your home wifi then they could download large files and probably put you over your data limit unless unlimited running up a large bill

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

If somebody took the wireless card from the envelope they would be able to use it to access your mothers Homehub which could ultimately give them access to your mothers home network and any devices that are connected to it.

Having said that I would seriously consider:

1) If somebody such as the postman or staff at the sorting office "stole"  the card, why bother letting the empty envelope be delivered. I would have stolen it all and binned the envelope and it would have been assumed to have been "lost" in the post.

2) How would the person who "stole" the wireless card know that was what they were going to get when they opened the envelope. It is more likely they were hoping to get a credit card of some sort and were sorely disappointed to have got what they got and again why let the envelope be delivered.

3) If they did "steal" the card knowing what it was for and intended to use it to gain access to the Homehub, they will need to be within a few tens of meters of your mothers Homehub in order to access the wireless signal. Is it worth the effort/risk of stealing the card on the off chance that they can use  the Homehubs bandwidth when there are so many free wifi hotspots that can be used.

4) If they stole it with the intention to use it to gain access to your mothers Homehub wasn't that a lucky break that it was in the envelope and the thief was lucky enough to know that so that he/she could steal it.

I think you are worrying needlessly about the security aspect but to be sure you should change the wireless passkey and the admin password of the Homehub.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14110/~/how-do-i-change-the-wep-key-for-a-wireless-co...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10990/~/how-can-i-change-the-admin-password-on-my-bt-...