cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJR9
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Lost original BT mobile number cos didn't know about PAC code deadline! Anybody in same boat?

Go to solution
My husband has been with BT for years on his mobile. Last month, he got voicemail to say he had to change plan cos not offering that plan anymore. He did it online, not realising he wld get new number. As he was busy, he didn't pursue matter right away. Eventually, I called BT to ask if we cld keep current number. 1st staff said yes, need to get PAC code from BT. (PAC codes usually used if transferring numbers to new mobile provider) Called another number, 2nd staff said, why were u given new number if just changing plan? Should have been able to retain current number! (Which is what puzzled us in first place)
Transferred call to 3rd staff who gave me PAC code and said it expired 31 july. When I asked if we cld keep current number he said yes. On that day earlier I had noticed old sim had no network anymore and got worried. But I forgot to mention it and was happy when he said we cld keep number. But before I activated new sim, I wanted to be sure so I called back n spoke to 4th staff who said, why were u sent a new SIM card? Did the old one not work? Cld we continue using the old one? Like the 2nd staff, she didn't know why we were given new sim n number! She apologised for the confusion it caused. But said to use the PAC code anyway to keep old number. When I asked if old number had been lost cos we had no network on mobile, she said no. Since we were given PAC code, we cld keep the number n said not to worry! That night when I tried to use the Pac code, it didn't work. When I called again, 5th staff asked why I didn't use Pac code immediately, it might hv expired already, to which i protested that the staff said it expired on 31 July! He didn't say I had to use it right away! She revealed number may hv been lost cos past deadline but gave new PAC for me to try again. It didn't work and when I spoke to 6th staff, she said deadline for transfer of old numbers to new SIM card was 30june! I asked why we weren't informed about how to keep old number and deadline for giving BT the Pac code and she said they left a voicemail.

1. While I acknowledge that my husband could hv missed the message about the PAC code in the voicemail, are voicemails really a good way of conveying important information to the customer? We would hv appreciated a formal letter from BT or if not, an email or a text would hv been great. Something in print to tell us of the deadline!

2. We were so close to being able to keep our old number! - none of the staff mentioned the 30june deadline until I spoke to the last 2 staff! By then it was past the 30th. Even the guy who first gave me the Pac code on 1 July didn't say anything about it! Just that we would be able to keep old number. If we were already late in enquiring about it, surely they cld hv alerted us about the deadline. It seems to me that they weren't aware of it.

3. BT needs to retrain their customer service staff. I didn't know for sure who knew what they were talking about until it was too late and we had lost the number. Not all the staff were aware about the procedure with regards to old BT mobile to new BT mobile. Although they were friendly and nice, they misguided and misinformed. Having the correct information just a day earlier would hv made the difference. Does BT not educate staff across the board on new products and procedures with regards to both old and new customers? Perhaps, they were focussing on acquiring new customers, that they didn't give as much priority to existing ones?

Sigh. So frustrated and disappointed. Hope someone from BT replies! Thank you for your time if you read this far!
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
CJR9
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Bt mobile to bt mobile - need a PAC? Why?

Go to solution
We didn't receive any letter. Just a voicemail to say that we needed to change plan. Did everyone receive a letter? We would have appreciated that! Staff over the phone claim that voicemail mentioned 30june deadline but my husband didn't hear it. Even if he really missed it, surely a letter or email would have been a more reliable way of communication? Becos of this, we were unaware of deadline have we're too late retaining our old BT mobile number.

Also, we must hv been one of the last few batches of customers they contacted cos it we were contacted about a month or so ago. We were told they hv been contacting customers since feb! It's very frustrating and disappointing to lose a mobile number we've had so long!
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 3 of 6

Re: Lost original BT mobile number cos didn't know about PAC code deadline! Anybody in same boat?

Go to solution

Hi CJR9,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry you weren’t able to retain your mobile number. I’ve checked this and our customers were contacted wherever possible by letter, email, SMS and phone calls to let them know that the service was being withdrawn from 1st July. Have you checked all your email accounts for any messages? Unfortunately it isn’t possible to retrieve the old number once it’s been ceased and again I’m really sorry about that.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
CJR9
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Re: Lost original BT mobile number cos didn't know about PAC code deadline! Anybody in same boat?

Go to solution
Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

By the way, does BT have an email address for customer feedback?
I have been looking on the website and though it mentions that we can email, it does not provide an email address.

Thanks
0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, go right to the bottom of the web page. There you will find

chose the Contact BT and there is a feedback section.

Stew

0 Ratings
mike-l
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Re: Bt mobile to bt mobile - need a PAC? Why?

Go to solution

CJR9. You need to go online and have a chat session with the good folk there. You will find them immensly helpful and knowledgable fully equipped with all the tools to correct this problem. Believe me they will sort you out toot sweet and you will also have the option to keep a copy of your conversation. Good luck.

Go team.

0 Ratings