cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Willcurrie
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Lost speed again

I've recently had my noise margin reset which returned my connection speed back to normal. I had not noticed any issues with my broadband connection prior to me being profiled. Over the last few days though my connection has been dropping a lot,  sometimes 3 or 4 times an hour.  This has obviously resulted in my connection speed dropping away and now it is fluctuating between just over 1000Kbps and 2500Kbps. The longest ive seen my connection time over the last few  days is about 3.5 hours.

What can cause this? My line might have some low level noise but it's constant and smooth not crackling. I don't actually know if it is noisy or if that is what it should sound like. 

Should i be starting my request for support here or on the phone to bt? 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Lost speed again

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Willcurrie
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Found my psu was whining so I swapped it out and my connection has stabilised. I hope my speed picks up again in a few days 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

may take more than a few days for your noise margin to reduce and your speed increase

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Willcurrie
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Things have improved slightly by way of connection stability, i seem to drop connection about once or twice a day. Speed is appalling now and i don't know what to do next. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

now need you to post the information I asked for in message 2

0 Ratings
Willcurrie
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Yep. Got that. I just phoned the service status line and found I my line was dropping the call then reconnecting with or without the dial tone. Wiggling the master socket seemed to cause it, found this out by plugging in a wired handset and shaking the cable to recreate the fault . I had a spare master socket and I've just swapped it out. Fingers crossed that was the issue.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

crossed fingers.jpg

0 Ratings
Willcurrie
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Nope it's not fixed. Called bt on my mobile because we can't maintain a line for long enough to even dial out. The can send an engineer on the 6th Jan at the earliest. I won't have daytime availability in Jan for at least another week so I'm looking at no bb or phone service for about a month. Disaster!

Call centre polite but not helpful. I know it's Christmas in a few days but it's just not an acceptable level of service from a utility supplier of BTs stature.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

The network is provided by Openreach and not BT on behalf of all service providers also allowing for the holiday period they are exceptionally busy and that will have been the first available date available also openreach normally openreach try and investigate faults within 3 working days after the fault is reported which would take you to christmas day at the earliest
0 Ratings