cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clueless969
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Lot of email accounts and I need to be able to use just one outbound SMTP server...

Go to solution

Hello - am thinking of coming to BT broadband but have a pivotal question that needs an answer before I decide whether to join or not.

Hello - have had a bit of a look and can't find the answer to the following.

I have a lot of email accounts and I need to be able to use just one outbound SMTP server from my BT account rather than setting each one up individually. This is particularly important as I have email addresses that are inbound to me but for which I cannot use their non-existent outbound SMTP server.

For example, let's say that I have the following email addresses,

me@fred.co.uk  me@hot.co.uk peter@stuff.it charlie@whatif.org grace@aftermeals.tv

Please tell me if BT broadband have a generic SMTP server to allow me to send all these emails using that one server? If it does have such a service, where can I find the details please?

Many thanks for your help with this.

Martin

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lot of email accounts and I need to be able to use just one outbound SMTP server...

Go to solution
Yes, you can send using mail.btinternet.com as your outgoing SMTP mail server but you will need to authenticate using a xxx.btinternet.com email address.
clueless969
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: Lot of email accounts and I need to be able to use just one outbound SMTP server...

Go to solution

Hi and thanks for your confirmation that it is possible to do what I need. 🙂

Just one last bit, I assume that the last half of your last sentence means that I would need to authenticate each outgoing address, once, via my allocated BT email address?

Thanks again

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
No, when you configure your mail client, set the outgoing portion to use mail.btinternet.com with user name xxxx@ btinternet.com and bt password instead of being the same as the incoming details.
clueless969
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Sorry Licquorice - just me being a bit slow on a Sunday 🙂

Of course that's what you mean. I've now slapped my legs for being silly and hope that BT don't move my goalposts. hahaha
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

No worries. Screenshots for MSOutlook below.

outlook1.jpg

outlook2.jpg

0 Ratings