cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Lovefilm buffering problem

Hi – can anyone help me please? I had BT Infinity 2 unlimited installed about two weeks ago and it’s great for internet surfing as I’m getting an average of 20 - 30mbps. However when I watch Lovefilm on my Sony blu-ray player I’m getting buffering problems. The player displays the amount of mbps and it seems to go up and down wildly – from 30mbps down to about 0.5 when everything grinds to a halt. After a short time the mbps rate goes up and the film continues. It only happens during busy times, with Sunday afternoon/evening being the worst. I’ve tried using an ethernet cable to connect to the home hub but that hasn’t really helped, nor has switching it (the hub) off and on again. A friend has suggested buying a better router but I would’ve thought the BT kit would be ok. Any help/advice appreciated!

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 24

Re: Lovefilm buffering problem

Try upgrading to the Totally Unlimited package

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 3 of 24

@ray_dorset wrote:

Try upgrading to the Totally Unlimited package

How would that help with lovefilm?

Not that I'd be against anyone upgrading if it was of benefit to them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Thanks - but it is the unlimited download package (Infinity 2 - up to 76mpbs) that I'm using. I went for the most expensive option to avoid buffering - hence the frustration!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 24

Since you signed up, BT introduced a new Totally Unlimited option which I recommend you upgrade to.

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 24

Disabling P2P shaping probably isn't going to cure Lovefilm buffering. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 24

I would be interested to see your Flash Video results from a Glasnost test.

I don't think it is 'shaped' though as I've never had an issue but there was a long thread regarding this issue on various media devices recently.

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

It would also be worthwhile doing a speedtest when the BR player has an issue just to eliminate equipment from the equation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Thanks for the advice. The Glasnost test came back all clear and the details are here: http://loki09.mpi-sws.mpg.de//bb//glasnost.php?protocol1=FlashVideo&protocol2=control%20flow&port=80...

As you suggest, I'll try testing the download speed when the blu-ray player slows down to see if it's the player itself that's causing the issue - though I've checked the firmware and everything is up to date.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 24

Is Youtube on your Sony Blu Ray player affected the same as Lovefilm?

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

I tried YouTube yesterday evening and that seemed ok, but then I had the same problem with BBC iPlayer. Then I tried to watch something on my laptop but the buffering was just as bad. The laptop’s only a couple of months old so I think the problem must be with my connection – looks like I’ll have to try the upgrade but I’m a bit confused about that as on BT’s website the ‘totally unlimited’ package looks to have the same price and specs as the one I signed up to. It’s all a bit disappointing as I was getting as good a service from Plusnet for a third of the price! Many thanks for everyone’s help and advice.

0 Ratings