Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 24

Re: Lovefilm buffering problem

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@Jaco888 wrote:

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@ray_dorset wrote:

It's suspicious that the problems are with rival streaming services that compete with the new BT Vision service.

BT does use QOS for it's BT Vision service

So BT does shape traffic after all ??  Can you classify QoS as traffic shaping?...  it prioritize so... it's kind of shaping? is it right? O_o

No, the QOS for BT Vision service is not traffic shapping, it just means that it's given priority over traffic on the internet connection.

So theoretically if most of my neighbours (plus people connected to same cabinet / or even exchange) got BT Vision and using it BT's QoS can give them priority and cause my 45mbps connection to buffer BBC iplayer and my ps3 ??? O_o ..

Surely that can't be right??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 24

@Jaco888 wrote:

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@Jaco888 wrote:

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@ray_dorset wrote:

It's suspicious that the problems are with rival streaming services that compete with the new BT Vision service.

BT does use QOS for it's BT Vision service

So BT does shape traffic after all ??  Can you classify QoS as traffic shaping?...  it prioritize so... it's kind of shaping? is it right? O_o

No, the QOS for BT Vision service is not traffic shapping, it just means that it's given priority over traffic on the internet connection.

So theoretically if most of my neighbours (plus people connected to same cabinet / or even exchange) got BT Vision and using it BT's QoS can give them priority and cause my 45mbps connection to buffer BBC iplayer and my ps3 ??? O_o ..

Surely that can't be right??

The priority only applies to the individual's connection and not anyone else. Off the top of my head I think it sets aside 2.5mbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 24

The priority only applies to the individual's connection and not anyone else. Off the top of my head I think it sets aside 2.5mbps

Ohh so it's just like normal QoS on router/ hh3 ... Sorry I misunderstood - did think there is like 'global QoS' or smth like that...
So if QoS only apply per household (connection)  it's completely unrelated to Lovefilm and iPlayer buffering... (taking into account infinity bandwith)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 24 of 24

@Jaco888 wrote:

Ohh so it's just like normal QoS on router/ hh3 ... Sorry I misunderstood - did think there is like 'global QoS' or smth like that...
So if QoS only apply per household (connection)  it's completely unrelated to Lovefilm and iPlayer buffering... (taking into account infinity bandwith)

Correct.

0 Ratings