Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shakesuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Low IP/Downstream Broadband help

Go to solution

Hi,

Recently my connection died from around 6mb to 0.13mb.

After two days of not so helpful conversations to a BT helpline an engineer came out to take a look at the line itself and found some problems on the outside line and went of to fix. After he came back he got all green ticks and said the line was now fine.

He also said to give it 5 hours (3 days sometimes) so the router can communicate to the exchange to slowly increase the IP profile again so it can begin to increase.

However its been 3 days now and nothing seems to have improved. The downstream reading is still extremely low as is the IP profile (even lower).  I've tried a different phone point incase that was the problem but it had the same results and obviously reset the line stable time but wanted to rule it out.

What should be my next step? Any help would be appreciated.

Here's the stats from the router.

System Up Time 11:52:18
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA466559230875376800:22:59
LAN10M/100M/1000M59910012011:52:10
WLAN11M/54M/270M5485731325016208611:51:32

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed416 kbps416 kbps
Line Attenuation48.8 db31.5 db
Noise Margin7.6 db7.0 db

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Low IP/Downstream Broadband help

Go to solution

are you resetting thr router to see if your connection will get better or is your router resetting on it's own?

Just there must have been a reset just over 11hrs and then again 22min ago.  Constant resets will kill your speed and the knock on will ne a very low profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Shakesuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Yes, I am to blame for that. I reset my connection last night and this morning by trying a different phone socket. The only reason I hadn't left it is because it had been stable since Friday (2 days) without change but the downstream was only showing 400kb when it should be much higher.

I was lead to believe that the router would communicate to the exchange to tell the IP to raise but if the router is not telling it that it needs to be higher (ie low downstream anyway) then surely nothing would be changing as it would think the IP profile is exactly how it needs to be. (?)

Here's what the bt speedtest says....

Download speed achieved during the test was - 84 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :416 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 416 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

Is the DSL connection rate correct? ie is that what the router is telling the exchange my max connection is or will that raise over time aswell?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

your connection rate is very low for your attenuation but resets in a short space of time result in your noise margin increasing and your speed droppin with corresponding drop in profile.

are you connected to the master or test socket?  have you tried the quiet line tset - dial 17070 option 2 should hear nothing.

have you check RogerB post

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

this shows potential speed just insert your attenuation http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php  but for a good line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Shakesuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for the replys.

Im connected to an extension socket (from master) if that makes sense. The engineer that came out performed a test for line noise and said everything was fine.  Having the router in the master socket permantly isn't really an option, could the extension line need a refit possibly?

As far as the post goes nothing has changed in the house (unless something has become faulty). In it's current position the router has been working fine for over a year and a half and bought a new netgear about 4 months ago which has also had no problems.

I tried the BT hub last week to check the router wasn't dieing and that yeilded the same results.

@imjolly wrote:

your connection rate is very low for your attenuation but resets in a short space of time result in your noise margin increasing and your speed droppin with corresponding drop in profile.

So by just leaving it for another 3 days without resetting the connection rate should improve by itself aswell as the IP profile?  As I said the DSL download rate has been the same for 2 days previous to my reset (testing the other socket).

I need a connection for work, the longer I go without a connection (80k is quite unuseable) the more of a problem it is for me. 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

you should try and find the master socket unless house is a new build as some of these have the master socket on the wall outside and cannot be used.

The extension may be the cause of your problem but only connecting to the first socket in your home after the BT wires enter will you know.  There is something wrong shown by the very low down speed shown in your stats

have you removed the orange bellwire from all your sockets?

0 Ratings
Shakesuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

The engineer told us which the master socket was, the problem is because of its location (bedroom) I can't leave it over night as the router lights up the room resulting in (an angry sleeper) + me reseting when I have to move it back to its original location.

Should I try it in the master anyway to see if it gets a higher DSL rate to rule out the extension, or will reseting it twice again not really do it any favours?

If it is the extension is it easily fixed? Would I be able to just purchase some new parts and reconnect it to the master?

I've no idea about the orange bellwire, but as I said nothing has changed in the last 2-3 years with the sockets so I doubt it.  Either way it was working at up to 6mbps before this weekend just gone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

at the moment the profile is not the main problem - the main problem is getting your speed up again to 5/6 mb.  connecting to the master even until bedtime will show if speed picks up - your profile at 135 cannot get any lower

0 Ratings
Shakesuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
Ok, thanks a lot for the help.

I'll connect it to the master until tonight and if this improves it'll tell me that the extension is faulty if I'm correct.

I'll come back with some results. Cheers.
0 Ratings
Shakesuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Well, the speed test results after switching to the master were pretty immediate.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 89 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4608 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

It's now bumped up to nearly 5mb straight off the bat. I take this is a clear sign the extension needs replacing? If so, I've read through google about cat5e/6 cable is what is required with a new slave box? Does it matter which I use or is there any good tutorials anywhere anyone can recommend?

Thanks for the help

0 Ratings