cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

MAC Code requests take 5 days longer now. BT have secretly changed the goalposts again.. Naughty BT

Why do BT do it? I can't believe that they think it's good customer service to change things for the worse, and not warn customers they're doing it...

I requested a MAC code just over a month ago. The chap at BT tried hard to stop me from going, but in the end told me to wait 5 minutes, and then gave me the code. Due to a couple of problems, the new provider didn't sort it in time, so it expired.

So I've just phoned BT again and asked for another code. This time they tell me it'll take 5 days and it'll be emailed to me.

What?

I ask why this is, and the lady I spoke to clearly didn't know. That's what they've been told, and that's all.

So after a few minutes going round in circles, I ask to speak to the line manager. She comes on and explains that it's changed and that's that.

So I ask two questions:

1) How can you change it without doing the customers the common courtesy of letting them know.

The reply is that the T's and C's state that BT can change this without notifying us... so they have and that's that.

Well, bully for the T's and C's. Can I just add that whatever the T's and C's say - it's simply not nice to change things that will effect the end users, without notifying them first.

2) I ask why the change, she replies it's to bring BT in line with all the other providers.

Err - Talk about a backward step. If that's the case, all the other providers are rubbish.

This means BT were good at SOMETHING. OK the thing they were good at was the process to move away. But it was something. So BT have now decided that obviously it'd be really bad to be in any way BETTER than the competition - they'd better lower thier standards immediately and become equally as rubbish.

Well BT, just to let you know the line in question was my home line. I'm moving broadband and you can obvioulsy sting me for 5 days more than you could before. But the line is also being moved now.  I'll add that I'm the MD of a business myself (not huge, but we did pay BT a fair whack every year) We like to think we know how to look after our customers, and burying changes like this is not condusive of a good customer / supplier relationship. My Business Broadband connections and my Business phone lines are now going to be moved too.

I really do hope you start listening to your customers. There's a lot of dissatisfaction in the way BT customers are treated. This sort of thing doesn't help.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: MAC Code requests take 5 days longer now. BT have secretly changed the goalposts again.. Naughty

OFCOM rules require ISPs to give you a MAC code within 5 days of requesting it, so BT are still complying.  That's assuming that you actually get the MAC code within that time.

To be honest, If you're planning on leaving, then BT don't have any incentive to make it easy for you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Re: MAC Code requests take 5 days longer now. BT have secretly changed the goalposts again.. Naughty

As long as you get it within the 5 days you have nothing to complain about. Getting it within 5 minutes last time was a bonus.Smiley Surprised

Actually cannot remember seeing your post about congratulating BT on a very fast 5 minute response to your first MAC requestSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

it is 5 'working days'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Take your point about not congratulating them - I frequently do on outstanding service, however I though that the service they gave at the time was normal - I knew some companies took 5 days but also knew others don't (or at least, didn't) so at the time it wasn't 'spectacular'. They simply put me on hold for a few minutes and said - 'here it is'.

My main gripe was that one day BT actually stood out from the rest, but to advance themselves they've decided to offer a lesser service. Shame.

Anyhoo - I guess I'm still within my rights. It's now a week... and of course, no Mac Code. They said it'd be pested to me AND be with me within 5 days. I've assumed that's working days. Today's the 5 working days and nothing on the doormat.

can't say I'm surprised.

Another 20 minute phone call coming up now I guess.

Thanks for the reply anyhoo.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

* posted 😉

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

So then - how do I deal with the fact that they are now saying that there's no record of a request for a Mac code??

That's WHY I wanted them to be able to tell me the code in the first place.

So - now I have to wait yet another 5 days to move.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

If I was to class the actions of BT based upon what the op has told us which following option will apply:
1:criminal
2: wrong
3: right

I would go with 1.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

@mctroff wrote:

So then - how do I deal with the fact that they are now saying that there's no record of a request for a Mac code??

That's WHY I wanted them to be able to tell me the code in the first place.

So - now I have to wait yet another 5 days to move.

As long as you are sure that you requested the MAC and they have failed to supply you it within 5 working days, then put in a complaint to OFCOM. Let them deal with it.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2010/08/switching-broadband-provider/

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/changing-provider/

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings