cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casaschi
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

MOD advise sought: did BT deliver what they sold to me?

Go to solution

Hello,

I'd be grateful if a MOD here could review my recent experience and confirm whether BT actually delivered what they sold to me or something wrong happened to my offer/order or I misunderstood what was offered to me.

I've been on the "Unlimited Infinity 1 Up to 52Mb download speed" package for a few years.

Few days ago I received the email announcing the price increase with a link to a personalized offer. Clicking on the offer link I was presented with an 18 months offer for "Unlimited Infinity 1 Up to 76Mb".

I knew about the speed boost happening for customer on the lower bandwidth package and I thought that this 18 months offer was a way to get the speed boost to kick-in immediately. The stats on my line (from the smart hub) showed something like "Maximum data rate: 17249 / 75539" and "Noise margin: 11.3 dB / 11.2 dB" hence I thought there would be plenty of room for the speed to go up from the approx 50 Mbps / 9 Mbps speed I was experiencing.

I ordered the new 18 months contract and I got an order summary that includes this exact wording: "Unlimited BT Infinity 1 + Calls This package includes: Unlimited BT Infinity 1 with up to 76Mb download and 19Mb upload speeds"

All good so far.

From there on things started to differ from what I thought I was ordering, particularly:

• I got an email suggesting the expected speed where exactly the same I was getting already, i.e. 50/10.
  • The order tracking on MyBT was showing my new package being delivered as "Unlimited Broadband with BT Infinity 1 Up to 52Mb download speed"
  • Ultimately, after completion of the order, now MyBT shows my package as "Unlimited Broadband with BT Infinity 1 Up to 52Mb download speed"
  • Needless to say, my speed and the stats from the smart hub are exactly the same as before the order.

Since then I had a couple of online chats with BT agents, followed by few calls. I have been bumped from one department to the other, from sales to orders to faults. During all that I've been told all kind of different things, someone agrees I should get the 76 Mbps speed according to the order, someone tells me that I would eventually get it (but they do not know when), someone told me today that what I'm getting is exactly what I ordered. Nobody however is willing to provide me with a written answer to my enquiry.

I'm looking for advise from a MOD here, in particular about the following:

• am I right to assume that, if BT had delivered the new order as "Unlimited BT Infinity 1 with up to 76Mb download and 19Mb upload speeds" then a smart hub with stats as "Maximum data rate: 17249 / 75539" and "Noise margin: 11.3 dB / 11.2 dB" should deliver higer throughput than the 50/10 I'm getting?
  • am I right to assume that, if BT had delivered the new order as "Unlimited BT Infinity 1 with up to 76Mb download and 19Mb upload speeds" then my package overview in MyBT should reflect that instead of showing "Unlimited Broadband with BT Infinity 1 Unlimited usage Up to 52Mb download speed"

The fact that my service speed is the same as before the new order, that MyBT still shows me on the 52 Mbps package and the healthy stats of my smarthub make me suspect that my order has been processed as a plain renewal without touching in any way the service and its previous 50/10 cap.

Does my assumption make sense? How to get BT to deliver what they offered me then?

Or is BT correct saying that they delivered to me "Unlimited BT Infinity 1 with up to 76Mb download and 19Mb upload speeds" as promised, regardless of the fact that MyBT tells my I'm on the 52 Mbps package, that my speed is the speed of the 52 Mbps package and that my router stats are the one of the 52 Mbps package ("Data rate: 10.00 Mbps / 55.00 Mbps", "Maximum data rate: 17249 / 75539", "Noise margin: 11.3 dB / 11.2 dB")?

Any advise appreciated, I had enough of talking/chatting with BT about this...

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: MOD advise sought: did BT deliver what they sold to me?

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, (ignoring all the red instructions), and on the initial results page click Further diagnostics at the bottom. Check your IP Profile given in the lower text box.

• If Up IP Profile = 10 Megs, you are on Infinity 1 capped to 55/10 Megs.
  • If Up IP Profile = 20 Megs, you are on Infinity 1 uncapped.
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

@casaschi your assumption makes total sense but I unfortunately can't give you an answer without first seeing your BT account information to try and figure out what has happened. 

If you send over your details we'll be happy to help, you can find the 'click here to contact the mods' link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
casaschi
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks NeilO, just filled the "contact the mods" form with account details.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@casaschi cheers, we'll try and get to the bottom of this for you. 

casaschi
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks... looking forward to your findings
0 Ratings
casaschi
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, (ignoring all the red instructions), and on the initial results page click Further diagnostics at the bottom. Check your IP Profile given in the lower text box.

• If Up IP Profile = 10 Megs, you are on Infinity 1 capped to 55/10 Megs.
  • If Up IP Profile = 20 Megs, you are on Infinity 1 uncapped.

Thanks for the suggestion, however the further diagnostics repeatedly fails with this meesage: "Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Suggests even BT don't know which 1 you're on Smiley Wink.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Suggests even BT don't know which 1 you're on Smiley Wink.

I think it suggests there are problems with btspeedtester - there are numerous posts of customers having btspeedtester problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.