cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottacoleman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

MODS PLEASE-Infinity - line connected direct to exchange, Infinity not available. Can anyone explain

I have today discovered that my home line is connected direct to the exchange, not via a street cabinet.

The Infinity FAQ's say "Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet."

Can anyone please explain why I can't get Infinity, despite being connected directly to the exchange?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Goody
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: MODS PLEASE-Infinity - line connected direct to exchange, Infinity not available. Can anyone exp

It depends on your exchange. If it has not been upgraded to handle infinity then you will not be able to get it.

Sorry but it really is that simple.

0 Ratings
scottacoleman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: MODS PLEASE-Infinity - line connected direct to exchange, Infinity not available. Can anyone exp

Sorry Goody, forgot to say, my Exchange, Ingrebourne, has been upgraded to Infinity/FTTC.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LNING refers

My home line is connected direct ....

0 Ratings
allanm
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

If you are connected direct to exchange then this will be a copper/aluminium connection and will not support iInfinity. To get Infinity I guess either you would need a fibre connect direct from exchange to home ( unlikely ) or ask if BT could change your line to one that connects to street cabinet that supports FTTC....

0 Ratings
scottacoleman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks allanm

I wonder if the Mods will pick up and respond ...

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

As  allanm said

Infinity is fibre to the nearest cabinet and copper from there to you but copper can only be upo to a certain length

so if your direct copper connection to exchange is longer then there is the reason

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Infinity is as other posters have explained a Fibre to the Cabinet system where special equipment is installed beside the cabinet that uses a different system from normal broadband called VDSL as against ADSL. VDSL is faster (potentially up to 100Mbs) but a far less robust signal so will only travel over short distances of 100s of metres rather than kilometres. BT have not said they are replacing the DSLAMs in exchanges that uses ADSL with VDSL DSLAMs and until they do you cannot get Infinity. 

The compensation is that most lines connected directly to exchanges already get fast connections as their total cable length is much less than lines connected to street cabinets but are often too long for a viable VDSL service.

0 Ratings
scottacoleman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Infinitechris

Many thanks for the explanation.

I wonder, given that I am about 500m from the exchange, what that might mean.

0 Ratings
Goody
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

No worries.

If you really are only 500m from the exchange then the chances are you might not need to be connected to a cabinet but as you say direct connect.

Send a email to the mods with a link to this thread they will get back to you fairly quickly.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

500m as the crow flies or as a BT cable runs? May not be the same but you should get seriously fast ADSL speeds. My cable run was 5.3km now 0.3 on FTTC as the 5km to the cabinet has been replaced by fibre.

If anyone does want to know more there is loads on the web but I found this page useful http://www.leyingitout.co.uk/2010/01/what-is-fttc-and-how-does-it-work/ 

I don't know the accuracy of the graph but you can see that beyond a distance the lines cross.

0 Ratings