cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

MORE PROBLEMS -NOW CANNOT SEND OR RECEIVE EMAILS AT ALL !-BT IS A FARCE !

Not been able to send or receive emails the whole day and still cant -11pm now !

Had remote assistance helping from Newcastle earlier as when trying to receive or send it keeps asking for password -then it went to BT help and it told me it was the wrong password !?? Never touched it since it was set up -no,idea why it would be wrong ????

I then rang up for help -the guy took over my computer and advised me to change my password -done that -no joy . Topld me to wait and he would ring back in 20 mins-rang back in 40 mins and still not working -tried everything -still not working.

Then he said the servers were down and no idea when it would be working !!!

Still cannot send or receive emails and its now 11pm !!!

I had emails i was waiting for and not received .

What do we actually pay for and what do we actually get ???????

More hassle every day thats all.

Had more problems with BT in the last few months since joining than Tiscali -and that really is scraping the bottom !

Just checked the fault reports -guess what -NOTHING FOR THIS AREA -ALL FAULTS RESOLVED !

NOT MINE THOUGH !!!!

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH -I HAVE HAD TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD AS COULDNT RECEIVE EMAILS OR SEND THEM - CHANGED IT AND STILL CANNOT SEND OR RECEIVE THEM -ABSOLUTELY WELL AND TRULY P----ED OFF !

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: MORE PROBLEMS -NOW CANNOT SEND OR RECEIVE EMAILS AT ALL !-BT IS A FARCE !

@gb1957 wrote:

Not been able to send or receive emails the whole day and still cant -11pm now !

Had remote assistance helping from Newcastle earlier as when trying to receive or send it keeps asking for password -then it went to BT help and it told me it was the wrong password !?? Never touched it since it was set up -no,idea why it would be wrong ????

I then rang up for help -the guy took over my computer and advised me to change my password -done that -no joy . Topld me to wait and he would ring back in 20 mins-rang back in 40 mins and still not working -tried everything -still not working.

Then he said the servers were down and no idea when it would be working !!!

Still cannot send or receive emails and its now 11pm !!!

I had emails i was waiting for and not received .

What do we actually pay for and what do we actually get ???????

More hassle every day thats all.

Had more problems with BT in the last few months since joining than Tiscali -and that really is scraping the bottom !

Just checked the fault reports -guess what -NOTHING FOR THIS AREA -ALL FAULTS RESOLVED !

NOT MINE THOUGH !!!!

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH -I HAVE HAD TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD AS COULDNT RECEIVE EMAILS OR SEND THEM - CHANGED IT AND STILL CANNOT SEND OR RECEIVE THEM -ABSOLUTELY WELL AND TRULY P----ED OFF !

Hi.

This sounds like one of the fleeting account problems that can happen from time to time, changing the password doesn't do anything and will not help.

Unfortunately it can last for a few days, so best to keep trying every few hours.

There are probaby a few reasons for this, including local anti-virus or other security programs interferring. Sometimes a router power cycle can help, by getting a new IP address in case the one you've curently got has gone stale.

Are you able to login via webmail ? (or was this actually via webmail rather than something like Outlook or Thunderbird ?).

If the servers were down, then it would affect millions of people, and there would be masses of reports.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Hi ,

No cannot log in or do anything .

So yet again another lie -telling me the servers were down in this area !

WHY DO BT STAFF LIE !????

So, i have gone through half of today for nothing and also changed my password for nothing -BT REALLY IS THE PITS .

WHen i get this sorted -if i ever do without living on the dam computer to sort it out or the phone -i am leaving -FAST !

No anti virus problems and NEVER had any before with emails either .

Cannot use or get/send any emails via BT at all - using Windows live mail.

Don''t know what you mean by router power cycle ? or geting new ip address?

I have never had so much hassle and problems -even Tiscali didnt give me this much grief and i was with them 8 years !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 21

I believe the power cycle is switching the Hub off through the Hub settings, Bt will normally assign you a new IP address.  You could just switch the Hub off by the mains for a couple off minutes and swicth back on, however to many times doing it this way over  a short period of time can be seen by exchange software as a unstable line and begin reducing speed to stabilise the line.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Switched the hub off for an hour tonight -made no difference -its pathetic now . still trying to sort this out at 4am !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

been trying to sort it since 4pm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all the help on the phone -useless !!!!!!!!

what the **bleep** am i supposed to do now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 21

@gb1957 wrote:

Switched the hub off for an hour tonight -made no difference -its pathetic now . still trying to sort this out at 4am !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

been trying to sort it since 4pm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all the help on the phone -useless !!!!!!!!

what the **bleep** am i supposed to do now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi again.

I've just checked your other postings, and you say you are using Windows Mail.

Can you try webmail access :-

http://mail.yahoo.com

entering your full email address as the Yahoo! ID.

If you can access emails via that method, then there are only a couple of scenarios. Either pop3 access is failing for your email address (which is the access from something like Windows Mail) - typically this is a fleeting error which can last a few days. Or the other is a local issue. If you have McAfee, AVG, Avast or similar, go into their settings and look for something called "email scanning" or similar. If this item is turned on, turn it off. A computer reboot may be needed, and see if the problem still exists.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

After speaking to Newcastle today it transpires that the person i spoke to yesterday had typed in my password wrong when it was changed -how he could do that i have no idea as i spelt the words and kletter out for him 5-6 times and he repeated them back to me !!!-he managed to put in a extra letter .

When this was sorted -it worked -for 1 hour !

Then it wouldnt work again -invalid passord error -then an hour later -it worked for another hour -then it stopped altogether and not worked since 8pm now -and its 3.30am .

It works fine with logging in  through yahoo -so its got to be something to do with windows live mail .

This is the error message i am getting.

Unable to send or receive messages for the Btinternet (vegas13) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.
Server Error: 0x800CCC90Server Response: -ERR [AUTH] Error logging in. Please visit http://mail.yahoo.comServer: 'mail.btinternet.com'Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92Protocol: POP3Port: 110Secure(SSL): No

I am so sick of this -its ruined my bank holiday altogether as all i have done is sit on the computer and phone for hours on end and its not even woorking after all that -so tomorrow will be another day wasted -well done BT !!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 21

@gb1957 wrote:

After speaking to Newcastle today it transpires that the person i spoke to yesterday had typed in my password wrong when it was changed -how he could do that i have no idea as i spelt the words and kletter out for him 5-6 times and he repeated them back to me !!!-he managed to put in a extra letter .

When this was sorted -it worked -for 1 hour !

Then it wouldnt work again -invalid passord error -then an hour later -it worked for another hour -then it stopped altogether and not worked since 8pm now -and its 3.30am .

It works fine with logging in  through yahoo -so its got to be something to do with windows live mail .

This is the error message i am getting.

Unable to send or receive messages for the Btinternet (vegas13) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.
Server Error: 0x800CCC90Server Response: -ERR [AUTH] Error logging in. Please visit http://mail.yahoo.comServer: 'mail.btinternet.com'Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92Protocol: POP3Port: 110Secure(SSL): No

I am so sick of this -its ruined my bank holiday altogether as all i have done is sit on the computer and phone for hours on end and its not even woorking after all that -so tomorrow will be another day wasted -well done BT !!!

Hi again.

Ok at least webmail access is working.

You've not said what anti-virus or other security packages you have. As I mentioned, these can interfere and if that "amail scanning" is on, then this can cause this sort of problem.

It doesn't specifically sound like a BT fault in this instance, because you were able to access emails sporadically.

As you've implied that it might be Windows Live Mail causing the problem, again this wont be a BT fault.

There are other free mail client programs, e.g. Thunderbird, Opera - but these need setting up and may not always be straightforward.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

I would always suggest getting an email account not attached to your ISP. I find that a gmail (googlemail) account ot Hotmail account are quite good thesed ays. Never have any problems with them and they are completely independent of your isp so can be used anywhere at any time.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Right - have rung again today -account has been deleted and reset altogether -it still wont work !

Also -I DO NOT WANT TO USE ANOTHER EMAIL -I WANT TO USE WINDOWS LIVE MAIL !!!

THIS HAS WORKED WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS RIGHT UNTIL THIS FRIDAY !

I HAVE UNISTALLED ROBOFORM -TWICE NOW -MADE NO DIFFERENCE !

I HAVE UNISTALLED ALL ANTIVIRUS -NO DIFFERENCE !

ALL OF WHICH I HAD ON MY COMPUTER FOR THE LAST YEAR-ALL HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL .

THIS STARTED ON FRIDAY !

YES , I HAVE ANOTHER EMAIL ADDRESS -A HOTMAIL ONE !

MY COMPLAINT IS -WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO MESS AROUND LIKE THIS WHEN IT WORKED BEFORE ???

WHY AM I BEING TOLD TO USE ANOTHER EMAIL - I WANT TO CARRY ON WITH WHAT I KNOW -WINDOWS LIVE MAIL !!

I AM SO SICK OF ALL THIS AND BEING TOLD TO CHANGE THIS THAT AND THE OTHER -I SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHOOSE MYSELF WHAT I WANT TO USE TO ACCESS MY EMAILS .

AS I SAID -IT ALL WORKED FINE UNTIL FRIDAY -WHAT HAPPENED I HAVE NO IDEA AS I DO NOT GO INTO ANY EMAIL SETTINGS AS I HAVE NO REASON TO !

NOW , I CANNOT SEND OR RECEIVE EMAILS ON MY IPAD OR IPHONE EITHER !?

SO UTTERLY **bleep** OFF I CANT EVEN TELL YOU !

3 DAYS NOW AND ALL I HAVE DONE IS SPEND IT ON THE PHONE AND COMPUTER AND 3 DIFFERENT PEOPLE HAVE ACCESS IT NOW AND NOT ONE CAN SORT IT OUT -WHAT A JOKE !

0 Ratings