cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlanMTS
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

MSE Deal Quoted £28.99. BT Charged £34.99 - Do I have a claim against BT to reduce their charges?

The recent email from BT (30th Nov 17) announcing impending price rises (in Jan 2018) triggered me to re-examine the MoneySaving Expert deal I took out with BT in April 2017 and compare it with what BT has been actually charging me.

MoneySaving Expert Deal

"New. Fibre & line rent £408 for 1yr, get £150 card and £50 cashback*

Works out equiv £17.32/mth

• Available to: 83% of UK
  • Speed: Up to 52Mb
  • Download limit: Unlimited
  • Traffic shaping? No
  • Contract length: 12 months
  • Deal requires line rental? Yes
  • Inclusive calls? Weekend
  • New line installation: Free

"Until Wed 19 April, BT broadband newbies can get a one-year contract for line rent & up-to-52Mb speed unlimited broadband (up to 3x faster than standard) using this BT link*. The deal's available to 83% of the UK – you're told if you can get it when applying. Here's how it works:

1. Unlimited fibre broadband and line rent £28.99/mth for 12mths. After it jumps to £47.49/mth. Weekend calls to UK landlines are included – see BT call costs.
  2. You pay £59.99 set-up costs. Includes activation and p&p for the 'free' router.
  3. Get £150 on a prepaid Mastercard and £50 cashback but you MUST claim them. This makes the deal really hot, but annoyingly BT won't remind you to claim, so diarise to use this Mastercard claim link and cashback link. You've up to three months to claim after activation – they'll arrive separately and may take up to 45 days.

"- Is the price fixed during the contract? Technically no, though BT told us it has no plans to increase it. If it does, you should be able to ditch your contract penalty-free.

Cost analysis: You pay £407.87 over one year before calls. But claim the cashback & use the Mastercard (which is like cash) & it's £207.87, equiv to £17.32/mth. Regular cashback site users may see bigger cashback elsewhere, but often on more expensive deals.

- Anything else? You get 100GB of free online storage and you can opt in to BT Sport free for three months, £5/mth after, on a 12-month contract. A 30-day rolling contract costs £5/mth. If you want to watch on Sky, it's free for three months, £7.50/mth after, on a 12-month contract."

BUT

BT have charged me £34.99/month from May

The following is an extract from one of the typical monthly bills:-

"The following advance charge for your package includes your line and
applies from 14 Jun 2017 to 13 Jul 2017
Broadband and CallsW14 Jun-13 Jul 17 £ 34.99
This is made up of:
>Broadband and Calls £ 47.49
This is the cost of your Package at £47.49 a month, charged in advance from
14 Jun 2017 to 13 Jul 2017. This gives you:
Calling Plan Unlimited Weekend Calls
Broadband Unlimited BT Infinity 1
Line Rental is now included in your package
Yet to discover BT TV? See bt.com/bttv for a great TV service
>Credit: Special offer discount - £ 12.50  >14 Jun-13 Jul 17
You get your Package at a special rate. We show this on your bill by giving
you a refund of £12.50 a month
Your special offer discount lasts for 12 months"

I chose the deal from MSE because of what was advertised on their web-pages. Presumably MSE are authorised by BT to offer these packages. So should BT be charging me £34.99/month?

Can anyone help.

PS - thanks to Forum guys for helping me to get the £50 cashback cheque mentioned in the deal.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
NeilO
Message 2 of 3

Re: MSE Deal Quoted £28.99. BT Charged £34.99 - Do I have a claim against BT to reduce their charges

@AlanMTS Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll check the order details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 3 of 3

Re: MSE Deal Quoted £28.99. BT Charged £34.99 - Do I have a claim against BT to reduce their charges

Hi @AlanMTS,

Thanks for taking my call today, nice speaking with you. I'm glad I was able to clear things up for you. I'll close things off at my side.

All the best

David

0 Ratings