Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Macfox
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Mac Mail OSX Lion

Hi 

Hope someone can help.  On the OSX Lion mac mail I am unable to set up my bt internet e-mail as a POP3 account - it sets it up automatically as a yahoo IMAP account.  I have deleted the account now but I am unable to send e-mails from my other POP3 e-mail account.  I am receiving them.  I have entered mail.btinternet.com as the outgoing mail server and the message I receive is

The sender address xxxxxxx@macosx.com was rejected by the server mail.btinternet.com.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

According to the technical team this is the first time this issue has been reported, I find that hard to believe.

Can anyone help??

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mac Mail OSX Lion

Hi Macfox,

Welcome to the forums 🙂 From what I understand of your post, you're trying to use mail.btinternet.com alongside your macosx.com email address. You should be using the settings provided with that email address rather than the BT POP3 server settings. You might find a bit more info here on how to reconfigure your @macosx.com email address as well as your BT email address. Get back to us to let us know how you got on!

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

@Macfox wrote:

Hi 

Hope someone can help.  On the OSX Lion mac mail I am unable to set up my bt internet e-mail as a POP3 account - it sets it up automatically as a yahoo IMAP account.  I have deleted the account now but I am unable to send e-mails from my other POP3 e-mail account.  I am receiving them.  I have entered mail.btinternet.com as the outgoing mail server and the message I receive is

The sender address xxxxxxx@macosx.com was rejected by the server mail.btinternet.com.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

According to the technical team this is the first time this issue has been reported, I find that hard to believe.

Can anyone help??

Thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

If you wish to send emails "from" your macosx account using the BTinternet mail servers, you will need to go through a feature called address verification. See my shortcuts (link below) option 0e for the details, and hopefully the relevant settings in Mac Mail can be set.

If you need a bit of extra help, pop back a reply.

0 Ratings
Macfox
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Hello 

Dean - the problem with the mac and bt help is that it is for OS10.6 and I am now on 10.7 - I have already tried that and it didn't work 

Andy - I'm waiting on macosx.com resetting my password, then I'll re-read your shortcuts.

In the interim I have set up a new e-mail address and that works so that may be the solution.

I lodged a complaint with BT, and they said someone would phone me within 48 hours - that was 3 days ago!!

Thank you both for your help

0 Ratings
stevewak
Message 5 of 6

Same problem and I have only ONE (BT) email address:

"The sender address xx.xxxxx@btinternet.com was rejected by the server smtp.mail.yahoo.com.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent."

Connection Doctor was OK. Can pick up mail OK. The Lion OS Mac Mail ONLY accepts BT mail as IMAP which does not help, I don't think.

I had the mail from BT with the "Error 553 Message . What you need to do" which is totally unhelpful - I simply want to send and receive mails with ONE email address that I have had for over 10 years.

Mac OS Lion 10.7.2. Mail 5.1 (1251 /1251.1)

Can anyone supply the settings please?

0 Ratings
gfDesign
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Same here with the blimmin IMAP! Whatever that is.

One day I have 'POP' the next 'IMAP'.... I haven't touched anything, have the latest OSX to date, latest MBP and sinc ethis IMAP appeared when Mail is opened emails no longer 'load' instantly so I have to quit and re-open. A large number of personal and important emails now go to my 'Bulk' folder whereas they were in the proper Inbox previously.

Luckily I decided to check Bulk one day as it used to contain all the Spammy nonsense and was shocked to find all kinds of emails that shouldn't be in there! 

I cannot find anywhere on the webmail (a place I never ventured to before this) that can tag the important emails so they go where I want them - my Inbox! And continue to.

Any ideas Apple Mac guys?

0 Ratings