cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 6

Mac-code request

As BT could not offer me a deal to stay with them for another year I called and requested my mac-code as my contract ends 17 December, so thought would start looking around to see what was on offer and if had the mac-code it would not have to wait and extend my term with BT if I decided to move.

When speaking to the consultant I told them I was looking at moving and not sure who would go to and that I required a mac-code - they enquired why so I told them because BT have said they cannot offer me a deal to continue staying with them for another year. They looked at what they could offer and still couldn't improve on it

I also told them that PN which is owned by BT was able to provide a better deal on the calls (I didn't have to pay to include half price calls to mobiles like I have to with BT), their broadband was cheaper for same speeds and so was their line rental. But all they could do was slate PN.

They also stated that it takes 7 working days to request a mac-code and no confirmation can be supplied to say you have requested this - I even stated that under the regulations it's 5 working days and this is even on their own website, but the consultant was adamant that it is 7 working days.

It consultants like these that give BT a bad name and no wonder people would rather switch provider (even if to PN) just to get a better customer service.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mac-code request

Hi walkerx,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you want to leave BT. I'll be happy to take a look at this for you if you wish. Drop me an email with the details. You'll get the 'contact us' link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

@DavidM wrote:

Hi walkerx,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you want to leave BT. I'll be happy to take a look at this for you if you wish. Drop me an email with the details. You'll get the 'contact us' link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

I've sent the message, but for reference I don't want to leave BT as have no problems with the Infinity, I'm looking to see who can provide me the best deal for the 12 months of rental when my contract ends in December. It just annoying that BT say they can't offer anything better than what I'm on and if I take a new offer then it will only go up in December/January anyway so in theory there is no deal/offer from BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Called tonight for update on mac code and was given it over the phone, saying it had only just been generated - again they were still adament that it is 7 working days and have received an email stating the mac code is only valid for 25 days

email from BT

You've got time to think about your options

There's no rush. You've got 25 days to use your MAC before it expires. If you want to stay with us, you don't need to do anything. Your MAC will automatically expire if it's not used and you'll keep your BT Broadband.

from BT help pages

How do I request a MAC code?

If you've got broadband already, but you want to switch to BT, you'll need to ask your current provider for your 'MAC code'. (It stands for 'migration authorisation code' - they'll know what you mean.) Then give it to us, and we'll take care of the rest.

Your MAC code will be valid and available for use for 30 days.

Moving to another service provider from BT

If you need to ask for a MAC from BT, the quickest way is to contact us on 0800 328 6738. Or you can submit your request online and we'll respond within five working days.

So it looks like BT are not following their own information being supplied to customers or the information from ofcom 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@conrad wrote:

This is what Ofcom state about issuing the MAC  http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/internet-service/MAC

I have already posted that link in my post

0 Ratings