cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cnwcywig
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Main/hub-phone interference?

I set up BT Broadband a year ago and it works perfectly.

Recently I decided to activate the additional phone line, and plugged a phone into the hub socket. Again, it works perfectly,

BUT

all incoming calls on the main phone also cause the hub phone to ring. As long as no one picks up the hub phone, the main phone works exactly as normally. The hub phone otherwise works as intended - I can dial out, and it receives incoming calls without ringing the main phone.

I had intended using the additional line as an independent phone in the granny annexe, but this is obviously going to be useless because of this interaction between the two lines.

I have tried several different phones, all modern, and it makes no difference. I have also tried several different filters, both the one that came with the kit, and others.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Main/hub-phone interference?

Try here it should let you set up what rings when but I find the hub still shows main calls as missed even though it dont ring and the main may ring with the hub all seems a bit daft to me

http://bthomehub/telephone.lp?be=0&l0=2&l1=1&l2=-1

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Cnwcywig
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I've just tried that. The only options are both numbers ring, or only Broadband Talk. There is no option shown for allowing each to ring independently, and on its own.

That would appear to make the facility useless as a stand-alone additional line?

0 Ratings
Cnwcywig
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I've finally managed to get through to the BT Helpline, and someone there has confirmed that this is how it is meant to work. He said that originally it was possible to use the Talk line as a stand alone phone, only ringing if a caller phoned the Talk number, but that this has been discontinued.

Is that really true? It seems a retrograde change, and  severely limits the usefulness of the Talk line. What is the point of having two separate numbers if the wrong one rings when someone calls?

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

You are 100% correct for me its only use is I can talk to someone even when the landline is being hogged by you know who

To call it another line is rubbish

0 Ratings
Cnwcywig
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Just for the **bleep** of it I have  tried changing the ring setting for the phone socket from "BT Broadband Talk + Landline" to "BT Broadband Talk Only". Now when I ring in on the landline number, only the landline rings, not the Talk phone as well. This is the exact reverse of what it says, but it does appear to answer exactly what i wanted.

I find this whole thing incomprehensible - why does it ring only the landline phone on a setting for Talk phone only?

0 Ratings
Cnwcywig
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Bleep was a very mild word meaning the opposite of heaven - how prudish of the censor to find that offensive!

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Yea saints may go to heaven but us sinners will not go to **bleep**    BT wont permit it

0 Ratings