cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lizzywhizz
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Major Issue with Monthly Usage Allowance

I have been with BT Broadband Option 1 and it has been ok for me.  Surfing the Internet generally and emailing has not taken me anywhere near my 10GB monthly usage allowance.  Not my daughter and family.  They moved recently and because her then ISP provider could not hook them up to broadband for several weeks (!) I recommended them to BT.  I wish I hadn't.  They were connected 13 April 2010 and on the 7th May got an email to say they had used 7GB of their monthly allowance of 10!  She rang them 2 days later and was told they had used 13GB!  They surf the net and send and receive emails!  Don't download or stream or anything.  There is no secret usage here!!

They cannot possibly afford to upgrade their package and £15.99 a month is quite enough to pay.  BT said they can do nothing.  How can this be.  They are frightened to connect to the internet now because of the problem.  Anybody out there that can make any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Major Issue with Monthly Usage Allowance

Hmm, so what's caused them to go over 10bg ? or could that be an error ?

How does this work, do BT provide proof that you've gone over the limit or do we have to take their word for it ?

Maybe an idea to download and install a bandwidth monitor, something like Networx is good.

djh22.

0 Ratings
dolphincutieuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

You don't get an email with proof of what you have used just that you have used it. Its bad really because lots of people are in this situation get moved up to an higher usage at higher cost which is sometimes better than getting a massive bill and the ones like me on unlimited (100gb) get capped for going over for 30 days. But you get no proof you have gone over just their say so.

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

So without evidence it's hearsay, wouldn't stand up in a court of law if it were challenged.

djh22.

0 Ratings
borgax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I'm chasing them on this too, their stock response when they bother to give one is "pay us more for more allowance"
Incredibly helpful!
I don't download music or films, or watch sports or use a games console yet they tell me i'm over every month, and won't help me figure out why.
0 Ratings
scropter
Message 6 of 9

I have the same problem and just switched to BT. I was using PAYG dongle with 3 and 1GB for a tenner lasted a month. With Option 1 BT I have had two messages in my first two months with 7GB mantra!!

Can anyone tell me if my son using PS3 uses billions of GBs ? Coz I am blaming him. My own useage amounts to emails and minimal surfing.

What are the big useage items or are there any easy ways to track and also identify the big GB eaters.

Thanks 

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

I don't think so, my son uses his Xbox online and gaming doesn't use much at all ,something like 20mg for two hours on average.

I use the stats on the Hub to check usage.

Del.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

My usage is fairly lite with simple browsing emails etc. and very occassional catch up i player etc. however BT claim that my usage is 18gb per month - way over the 10 Gb allowed. I tried to upgrade to the £18 per month unlimited broadband as suggested on the web site but guess what? - impossible to actually add extra broadband to existing package - some upgrade option !!! - phoned and the only phone option is 21 quid per month by phone and again no help at all!! - also contacted BT re what is over use?? - they give you no idea on the over limit useage so impossible to tell what is causing the over use... never had any problem with virgin on the same monthly limits!! - funny that and BT absolutely no help!! - also mysteriously the "you are near your limit" e-mails never reach me whilst the "too late you have blown it" always come through????

Not impressed!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

0 Ratings