cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 211 of 260

Hello All, I work at BT and look after Network Architectu...

Hello All,

I work at BT and look after Network Architecture. We are aware of this issue and we have made some changes today, however the upstream has a significant congestion issue in their network (today we don't even reach 60% of our available capacity to the LINX, which is the place where ISP's in the UK exchange traffic).

We have changed our network to directly exchange traffic with rackspace (who host some EA sites) and we have re-routed a number of internet sites via other paths. We have raised this congestion issue with third party.

Regards,

Neil McRae

Network Architecture.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 212 of 260

Re: Hello All, I work at BT and look after Network Architectu...

Thanks for updating us Neil.

Can I assume the problem with Abovenet will remain an open issue unti it's fully resolved?

David.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 213 of 260

Of course.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 214 of 260

Thanks for the confirmation. I just didn't want the temporary "patches" to mean that it got forgotten about 😉

David.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 215 of 260

Thanks for the update Neil.

However it's concerning and certainly says a lot for BT that their Chief Network Architect has to create an account on a community forum to let us all know what's happening when the BT has had days to update it's status page and/or let us know what the issue was.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 216 of 260

Re: Major Packet Loss

Although I don't game online, it still doesn't explain how I never had any packet loss at all (including us.above) when I tested various sites reported on more than one thread last night...

From reading the posts, most other customers, if not all are on Infinity or am I missing something?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 217 of 260

Hey Neil,

Thanks for the progress update to echo the others.

At risk of sounding like a whinger, seeing 2-4% packet loss and higher roundtrip times up to 450ms presumably this is down to the routing changes you've been forced to implement to circumvent the problem.  Don't get me wrong, it's infinitely better than last night but again to echo the others it would be good to get a confirmed resolution from Zayo.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 218 of 260

There are a few packet loss threads knockin around on the forum .... and has been stated before, most if not all latency and packet loss is due to circumstances outside of BT's network boundary layer, a point proven by Neil's statement. If BT's traffic to Linx is only up to 60% of total bandwidth capacity, it gives you a good idea how much traffic there is on external networks that is causing the problems and congestion.

Nice one Neil, the fraternity from Adastral park are always welcome.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 219 of 260

Thank's for thre heads up Neil!

Smiley HappyLooking good tonight no packet lossSmiley Happy

Maybe packet re routing to avoid congestion will now be more automated in the future.

My Broadband Ping - infinity 2 2300

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 220 of 260

0 Ratings