cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leex
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Major Problems with YouView box and Customer Service

For the last 3 months our YouView box has been playing up one way or another every day and is getting worse by the day.

It started off over 6 months' ago by the remote not being recognised by the box. We changed batteries and after going through so many batteries in a month realised there was a problem. Reported it to BT who promised to send a new remote that never arrived.

Then the freezing and having to be switch off at the wall and rebooting started; first once a day then several times a day and now anything up to three times in one hour!

It also started intermittently only recording part of a programme.

Then it would intermittently wipe off requests to record up and comming programmes.

Then pause and rewind started to intermittently refuse to work.

Likewise the ability to set a recording became an intermitent problem whereby a request to record could not be made for up to a 24 hr period.

Catch up TV again decided to become intermittent, so if we hadn't been able to record it we couldn't even watch it on catch up.

Rang technical support. Went through the usual unplugging, switching off, rebooting changing ethernet cables, checking this that and the k*****n (won't allow me to use the full word for some reason) sink job. Waited patiently whilst persons in India did their 'resetting process' at their end and ended up hanging up with them highly satisfied that they had done their bit and me saying to them 'yes it works now but the whole thing is intermitent so it might not work in 20 mins or an hour or tomorrow'.

As expected the thing went wrong again and we had the same process with the people in technical support. This time however they decided they wanted to do a 'factory reset'. Fine. Just one problem a factory reset would wipe off all the recordings we had on the box and had not had a chance to watch. At this point I think it has to be said husband has cancer and other physical illness which means that he does tend to drift off half way through a programme or need to go to bed early if his is feeling exhausted. Therefore, the recording facility and the ability to pause and rewind live TV are the two things (and really the only two things that swayed us to have a BT YouView 'service').

I explained to technical support there was about 9 pages (some 83% of available recording space) of recordings that my husband and family had not yet had a chance to watch and therefore to do a factory reset was not really acceptable as it would mean that they would lose all the programmes they had recorded. I was told there was nothing could be done if I wouldn't factory reset the box.

The box continued to play up big time for the next two days and I rang technical support and asked if there was any other way they could help without losing the recordings as my husband was particularly upset at the idea. I was then told there was a way to factory reset without losing the recordings. I went through this process and said I would monitor things for the next 7 days. Ha! later that night things started freezing again, then later it wouldn't record for a while etc etc etc.

I phoned again and was told this was totally unacceptable and that they would send an engineer out.

Engineer arrived promptly this afternoon. Said he could change the box no problem. Problem came that there was no way he could transfer the recordings over to the new box. Fair enough. In that case could he please leave the old box with us in addition to the new box so that we could plug it in from time to time to watch as much of the recordings we had on it in the next couple of weeks.

Was told no he had to remove the old box but was sympathetic to our situation and could see where we were coming from and suggested we contact customer service.

Oh how I love those words! Customer service????? What service? Was told, No I could not have two boxes under any circumstances. Was told it was no wonder the box didn't work because I had refused to have a 'proper' factory reset on the box. But I did, went through the process with technical support? Was told this was no good I had to do the 'proper' factory reset where it deleted the recordings on the box for the process to work properly. Getting feeling of going round in circles now. Where in all the conversations have I not said it is the loss of the recordings that is causing the problem? I have a husband who is ill and who doesn't get to watch a whole programme at times or needs to go to bed before the programme starts. These recordings are his way of being able to watch the TV he wants. Our daughter has two series of Vampire Diaries she has not watched yet due to being away and busy with work etc. To buy those box series alone will cost us around £20-30 each. Why should we be expected to have to go out and buy these things when we have paid for a service to be able to watch these recordings at a later date that is convenient to us?

y

Customer service then asked if we had freeview on our TV. Yes we do. In that case, customer service suggested, we keep the YouView box to watch our recordings and watch 'normal' TV on our freeview facility. Ummmmm???? So does that mean that you will cancel our monthly payments to you for the YouView as we obviously wont be using that facility? Oh No!!! You are still in a contract. But haven't you broken the contract by not being able to supply us with the services you advertised and contracted with us to suppy? No. We don't contract to supply you with the facility to record. The TV programmes you receive are free as is the facility to record those programmes and the facility to pause  and rewind live TV. Then what exactly are we paying for each month? The 'Catch Up' facility. But can't we access that free on our laptop, phone etc through our broadband that we are paying for? Yes. Then why would anyone in their right mind want to pay for a service twice? We opted for the service for the recording facility and pausing and rewinding live TV facility. That is what you had in your advert and that is what persuaded us to sign up for YouView. Does the YouView box belong to us? Yes, you paid for that at the beginning of the contract in a one off payment. Then are we not entitled to after care service on the box, a 12 month guarantee? At this point I was told the complaint would be escalated and I would get a call shortly from the 'complaints escalation team'. I wait with baited breath.

We have paid for a YouView box that is not 12 months old and does not work properly. We pay monthly apparently, SOLELY, for a catch up service that we already had before we subscribed to BT YouView. Am I being thick? Or am I being reasonable in questioning the point of paying for any form of TV service from BT? We don't subscribe to any additional programmes available because we dont have the time to watch any more (as can be seen by the amount still needing to be watched on the recordings!!!).

Am I really being that unreasonable to ask for BT to leave the old box here (to enable us to watch our old recordings) alongside a new box that hopefully will work without freezing every few minutes during a special programme we enjoy and all the other defects the old one has and which will allow us to record new programmes without, hopefully, the risk of them being wiped off at a later date by the box itself or the need for a factory reset?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Leex
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Major Problems with YouView box and Customer Service

Can anyone help me please?

Back in August 2011 I was helped by a moderator (Stuart in Ireland) regarding the long and drawn out problems we had with our broadband.

I tried the link to the moderators that I used then, but apparently that link is no longer used.

I would really like to speak to a moderator and ask if they would deal with this YouView problem as Stuart was absolutely excellent in getting things sorted before and saved me from so much more stress.

Since I typed my initial post here at 13.56 the YouView box has developed a new trick!!! It now loses its sound! It did this 4 times in half an hour. Switching off and switiching back on restored the sound for a few minutes only for it to disappear again within as many minutes. So box was switched off or without sound longer than the time we were able to have a picture with sound to watch normally.

I really can't bear to have to deal with technical support in India over and over again or indeed customer service who just don't want to know.

I'm actually seriously ill myself nowadays and would never be able to deal with all the problems these people create for what I see as a simple problem with a simply answer.

Many thanks in anticipation of someone directing me in the right direction.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 3 of 5

Hi Leex,

Thanks for posting. I'll take a look at this for you if you wish. You'll get the 'contact us' link in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
annjj
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

i have had my bt package since june 2014, broadband, phone & tv at a cost f £49 p/m, from the start i have had problems, i have films on my package but whenever i tried watching one i got a message saying my bradband speed was to slow, i rang BT numerous times nly to be told to switch off at the mains & reboot, after doing this & calling back continuosly for 4 months i eventually got someone on the line that told me that i needed infinity to play films, being an idiot i didnt ask the cost & wasnt told it either, the problem was solved, i could watch films but still my box was often unresponsive & kept freezing & not responding to what i waned it to do, sometimes it wold respond about 10 minutes later, most of the time i have to switch off at then mains, i dont get paper bills & i rang BT to ask when my contract ends & was told my tv package is june 2014 & internet & ohone april 2015, i queried this as i thought my internet & tv was an 18 month contract & from june 2013 to december 2014, is 18 months not april 2015, they told me that my contract was renewed in october 2013 when i got infinity, i think this is totally unfair as when i took out the package i was not offered infinity nor told i may habe trouble watching films with the original broadband i was sold, my blls have gone from £49 p/m to £80 p/m just by changing to infinity, when i queried this i was told you would have been told you had renewed a contract & the extra amount to pay, i asked why they didnt tell me when i ordered my package that the original broadband may be a problem, their reply was we dont need to explain every minor detail, i personally dont see having something that is not going to work a  minor detail, all im asking is for BT to put my contract back so it ends in december, not a chance they are listening though, all they say is lower your tv package so you can manage the payments, what a joke, i WOULD NOT reccomend BT to anyone

0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

@annjj wrote:

i have had my bt package since june 2014, broadband, phone & tv at a cost f £49 p/m, from the start i have had problems, i have films on my package but whenever i tried watching one i got a message saying my bradband speed was to slow, i rang BT numerous times nly to be told to switch off at the mains & reboot, after doing this & calling back continuosly for 4 months i eventually got someone on the line that told me that i needed infinity to play films, being an idiot i didnt ask the cost & wasnt told it either, the problem was solved, i could watch films but still my box was often unresponsive & kept freezing & not responding to what i waned it to do, sometimes it wold respond about 10 minutes later, most of the time i have to switch off at then mains, i dont get paper bills & i rang BT to ask when my contract ends & was told my tv package is june 2014 & internet & ohone april 2015, i queried this as i thought my internet & tv was an 18 month contract & from june 2013 to december 2014, is 18 months not april 2015, they told me that my contract was renewed in october 2013 when i got infinity, i think this is totally unfair as when i took out the package i was not offered infinity nor told i may habe trouble watching films with the original broadband i was sold, my blls have gone from £49 p/m to £80 p/m just by changing to infinity, when i queried this i was told you would have been told you had renewed a contract & the extra amount to pay, i asked why they didnt tell me when i ordered my package that the original broadband may be a problem, their reply was we dont need to explain every minor detail, i personally dont see having something that is not going to work a  minor detail, all im asking is for BT to put my contract back so it ends in december, not a chance they are listening though, all they say is lower your tv package so you can manage the payments, what a joke, i WOULD NOT reccomend BT to anyone

There are two issues - the techncial and the billing and they have to be looked at seperately:

Difficult to see how moving from one broadband type to another aded £31 to your monthtly bill, the dearest infinity package is £26

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages

and you would have been paying something already for your non Infinity broadband.

So, what package were you on and what package are you on now? 

Also, BT should have told you the new, higher cost but you also should have asked before agreeing to any changes. 

On the technical side, yes, slow broadband can make it hard to watch on demand content, especially if you're watching the HD version. How is your box connected to the Home Hub? By a single cable, by homeplug/power line adapter? 

There was a software update a month or so back which caused box problems but a newer version shuld have been released by now - what software version is your box using? 

if you provide specifics people will be better able to help you.

0 Ratings