Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Major help needed.

Go to solution

Hi, 

Basically this has been happening for years now.

The speeds we get against what we pay for are disgusting.

We have had around 3-4 engineers out to fix it, they fixed it for around a week; Then boom it goes back to how it was.

One guy changed the wire coming into the house, one changed the box on the wall etc.

Luckily, we have not had to pay for anything to be fixed yet and don't plan too.

Please, can anyone help me? I don't know what to do anymore, there's no point in moving providers because it's all run off bt anyway. We pay like £40 a month for it and may as well have dial-up!

It seems like the people on here are more helpful than the people on the phone.

(I have provided all info in pictures)

Thanks!:)Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.pngScreenshot_3.pngScreenshot_4.png

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Major help needed.

Go to solution

This could be due to your own internal wiring as the connection speed is low. Also the noise margin is high, indication multiple disconnections. Your connection time is only showing as one day, is there a reason for that?

You need to connect things up as shown below, and see if your connection speed improves after about a week.

Image1.jpg

Also check that any extensions are connected correctly.

infinity_wiring2.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

your noise margin is very high at 15db as normal is about 6db.  have you been resetting the router manually or has hub been dropping connection or a combination of both?

if the noise margin was back to normal then you would have a faster connection speed.  This should happen automatically but requires a stable connection 24/7 and could take a few weeks

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JoeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

i reset it regularly. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

you need to maintain a stable connection 24/7 for best results - resets unless absolutely neccessary are more like to make conenction worse than improve it.  your noise margin will never improve if you continue to reset the router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
to add further to imjollys post restarting your restarting of the hub will make things worse if you continue to do so a hub should not need to be restarted unless absolutely needed as every restart is seen by the exchange equipment as an unstable line which increases your noise margin and reduces your speed further
0 Ratings
JoeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

When i say regularly, i mean when it goes red and stays red.

May i also add, the router isn't connected to the master socket, it's connected the kitchen whic was changed when we got **bleep**finity.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

I would try changing to master socket and even try test socket with a new filter and see if that helps improve your connection and stability

0 Ratings
JoeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

The master socket is still the old phone box where you use a microfilter, can i still test it on that? And the master doesn't have a test socket.

I can provide pictures of each socket if you like.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

using the master may well help your connection. Is the socket you are using just a straightforward extension socket?

0 Ratings