cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rich1608
Contributor
4,230 Views
Message 1 of 207

Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

Hi

 

I have had a small website hosted at btinternet.com for several months without any problems but have had major grief for the last 24 hours. Does anyone know if there is a problem with the hosting server? I've had an account with BT Internet since July 2000 so should have 50MB web space. I've tried several power cycles with the Home Hub but it hasn't improved things one bit.

 

Yesterday evening I tried to update the site but kept getting 'An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host'. I tried this morning and have had no luck all day long. Furthermore, if you try and view the site (on any computer) it's either very slow or you get 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'. I have been checking the status page http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status throughout the day and there was a 'Problem with viewing webpages' error message up for most of the day however this appears to have been resolved. I did another power cycle with the hub but the problem is still there!! I should add that I can view all other websites as normal and also check email with Outlook Express with no problems.

 

So the problem appears to be the BT Internet web hosting server. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

 

Thanks,

 

Rich

0 Ratings
206 REPLIES 206
Distinguished Guru
4,223 Views
Message 2 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

 


@rich1608 wrote:

Hi

 

I have had a small website hosted at btinternet.com for several months without any problems but have had major grief for the last 24 hours. Does anyone know if there is a problem with the hosting server? I've had an account with BT Internet since July 2000 so should have 50MB web space. I've tried several power cycles with the Home Hub but it hasn't improved things one bit.

 

Yesterday evening I tried to update the site but kept getting 'An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host'. I tried this morning and have had no luck all day long. Furthermore, if you try and view the site (on any computer) it's either very slow or you get 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'. I have been checking the status page http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status throughout the day and there was a 'Problem with viewing webpages' error message up for most of the day however this appears to have been resolved. I did another power cycle with the hub but the problem is still there!! I should add that I can view all other websites as normal and also check email with Outlook Express with no problems.

 

So the problem appears to be the BT Internet web hosting server. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

 

Thanks,

 

Rich


 

Hi Rich.

 

I too have been seeing this the past day as well - I can get to the webpages, albeit slowly - but ftp access is faulty. I expect it's a fleeting access problem with the ftp servers (perhaps lasting a few days, as has happened in the past), and maybe a slow response from the web servers.

0 Ratings
rich1608
Contributor
4,216 Views
Message 3 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

Hi Andy,

 

I was about to email you as I had been through your andywebshortcuts page and checked everything, checked Dreamweaver settings etc.. but still a problem. I guess we'll have to wait for the BT boffins to put it right!

 

Rich

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
4,187 Views
Message 4 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

 


@rich1608 wrote:

Hi Andy,

 

I was about to email you as I had been through your andywebshortcuts page and checked everything, checked Dreamweaver settings etc.. but still a problem. I guess we'll have to wait for the BT boffins to put it right!

 

Rich


 

I initially thought it was my IP address being one of the problem set, but I've tried a "few IP addresses" and it's not that.

 

Hence must be a server problem. Unfortunately no-one else has posted with the same problem as yet, giving more voice to the problem. I'll drop a post on the newsgroups.

 

Maybe one of the Mods can kindly take a quick look too.

0 Ratings
rich1608
Contributor
4,173 Views
Message 5 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

Thanks Andy. I have done 7 or 8 power cycles on the hub and it's still the same. I tried looking at my site on a different pc with different ISP and phone line and it's just as bad. Maybe BT are moving ftp to a different server?

0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
4,127 Views
Message 6 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

 


@Andy_N wrote:

 


@rich1608 wrote:

Hi Andy,

 

I was about to email you as I had been through your andywebshortcuts page and checked everything, checked Dreamweaver settings etc.. but still a problem. I guess we'll have to wait for the BT boffins to put it right!

 

Rich


 

I initially thought it was my IP address being one of the problem set, but I've tried a "few IP addresses" and it's not that.

 

Hence must be a server problem. Unfortunately no-one else has posted with the same problem as yet, giving more voice to the problem. I'll drop a post on the newsgroups.

 

Maybe one of the Mods can kindly take a quick look too.


Problem here as well, as I posted in reply to yours in the newsgroup.

 

Michael
0 Ratings
peterwt
Aspiring Expert
4,116 Views
Message 7 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

I am having problems also. I can sometimes get in via FTP but if I close the session and try and get in again it fails. My webpage also sometimes does not display.

 

 

Peter
0 Ratings
Responder
Aspiring Contributor
4,086 Views
Message 8 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

Andy_N,

 

I too have had the same problems since yesterday. .ftp failing and unable to connect to websites using btinternet.com domain, including my own site.

 

This happened last week but it lasted only half a day but this seems to be longer this time.

 

I have restarted my hub a couple of times just to make a new connection but that doesn't help.

 

Like everyone else, ALL other websites work 100%, it is just the web hosting server that is unable to connect.

 

Cheers,

0 Ratings
englishbullterrier
Contributor
4,074 Views
Message 9 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

I can't access my BTinternet hosted webpages either, but can FTP extremely slowly. This happened for 2 days last week as well and came back as if by magic !!!
0 Ratings
Responder
Aspiring Contributor
4,050 Views
Message 10 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

Just been looking at the service status page and it doesn't say anything specific about the web hosting server. Just the normal connection issues. Thus;

 

ONGOING Problem with Network (no time/date stamp)

Estimated time to resolve: 2hrs

We are aware of a temporary Network problem, that may be causing some users difficulties accessing the Internet. Our engineers are working to resolve this problem and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

 

That is all it says and could pertain to anything Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings