Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seamaid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 207

Re: BT FTP webspace not working

@Stentifw wrote:

Having just come home after a few days away and finding that ftp to BTinternet not working,  I immediately posted a fault report yesterday (1/10/10).

I must confess that I got a prompt phone call today and now I find the system is working.

It is worrying that there is no way of viewing the current status online.  It used to be posted at http://www.btinternet.com/new/content/help/status.shtml but that is now sadly neglected.

this is hilarious as I clicked the above link just now and got the following!

"E-mail, FTP, News and Web are without problems unless specified otherwise below. Service status information line - 0800 731 7777.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]"

I haven't tried calling the number as think we are probably not going to get any where until Monday.  I don't even use BT to access the net just simply keep paying my dial up subscription so my pages are hosted and I keep my bt email address.  I do have my own domain hosting yet have just used it to cross link to the bt hosted pages as it would have entailed a mega amount of work to transfer all of the pages over.

I guess it is wait until next week then unless more information comes up.

0 Ratings
keithwn
Beginner
Message 52 of 207

I have the same issue.  Webiste and FTP were down for most of the day last week so I reported the problem to BT.

Got a phone call from a nice Irish lass to tell me that BT no longer hosted the webiste I had and that it was nothing to do with them!

I did point out that the domain is still www.btinternet.com and the FTP AUP is from BT Openworld.  However, she insisted that BT no longer offer web hosting and that any problems were nothing to do with them and customers had been told!

Anyone else had the same story?  If so - then where is www.btinternet.com hosted and by whom??

Thanks

Keith

0 Ratings
rich1608
Contributor
Message 53 of 207

A whois check of www.btinternet.com reveals this:

Domain Name: BTINTERNET.COM
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: RBSDNS01.BT.NET
   Name Server: RBSDNS02.BT.NET
   Name Server: RBSDNS03.BT.NET
   Name Server: RBSDNS04.BT.NET
   Updated Date: 12-nov-2009
   Creation Date: 21-oct-1995
   Expiration Date: 20-oct-2010

Note the expiration date - there is something suspicious going on here!!

0 Ratings
daveindevon
Contributor
Message 54 of 207

The Information Minister

At last!  A message from the Information Minister...

"Reports that BT web servers are not working properly,
and that there is any such thing as a Devon flag
 - are just more propaganda"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 55 of 207

@daveindevon wrote:

OK - here's the latest:

I reported a fault via a BT web page earlier today. BT have just phoned me (yes!) to say they are working on the problem but the team working on it is not in today and he should be able to give me an update on Monday. I replied that 'it will be down all weekend then?' to which he said 'probably' to which I replied 'don't you mean definitely?' - answer was 'well, er, yes'.  So I wouldn't hold your breath - seems it's not big enough to warrant overtime!!

The back room team unfortunately often say that, however there are actually millions upon millions of pages on BTinternet webspace - something they fail to comprehend. They should be called in to fix this problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 56 of 207

@rich1608 wrote:

A whois check of www.btinternet.com reveals this:

Expiration Date: 20-oct-2010

Note the expiration date - there is something suspicious going on here!!

But that is in 18 days time, and shouldn't affect anything.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Stentifw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 207

Although I was able to upload files an hour or so ago, the system is failing again.  So someone is currently fiddling with the server.  I wish the BT people would be more communicative.  All of us are wasting a tremendous amount of time polling the site to see if it is working.

0 Ratings
pratesi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 58 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

I also would like to add my disgust as to why BT pulled the service away from under our feet. I have been hosting for seven years now and provided a service for Club members and anyone wishing to join our London Club.

After trying to track down a contact name/email from the BT home page I finally had to contact via the complaints email, only to be contacted two days later by Colm at customer services with regard to contacting this forum to lodge my complaint and contact Stephanie. Why he couldn't pass it on I don't know?

Oddly enough the confirmation to the forum ended up in the spam folder of my BTYahoo home page. After retriving it from there was able to post to the forum.

Now I can't access either my website or access my files on the ftp:btopenworld to amend them. 

Although the problem has been reported to BT (who claim to be the best Telecom System in the world, I wonder how long it will be before we get our webspace back? Well I'll leave you to guess. I just hope all the files have not been lost in cyberspace and I'll have to start all over again. The amount of information contained on my website was vast indeed. Replacing it all could take a full week!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 59 of 207

@pratesi wrote:

I also would like to add my disgust as to why BT pulled the service away from under our feet. I have been hosting for seven years now and provided a service for Club members and anyone wishing to join our London Club.

After trying to track down a contact name/email from the BT home page I finally had to contact via the complaints email, only to be contacted two days later by Colm at customer services with regard to contacting this forum to lodge my complaint and contact Stephanie. Why he couldn't pass it on I don't know?

Oddly enough the confirmation to the forum ended up in the spam folder of my BTYahoo home page. After retriving it from there was able to post to the forum.

Now I can't access either my website or access my files on the ftp:btopenworld to amend them. 

Although the problem has been reported to BT (who claim to be the best Telecom System in the world, I wonder how long it will be before we get our webspace back? Well I'll leave you to guess. I just hope all the files have not been lost in cyberspace and I'll have to start all over again. The amount of information contained on my website was vast indeed. Replacing it all could take a full week!

Hi.

I've heard that the sites are possibly available from some non BT connections. The data files are certainly not lost, I've been able to access my various sites via ftp sporadically over the day.

I've altered my shortcuts host for the time being.

This does seem to be the biggest and most serious outage for years, indeed I can't recall it this bad in 14 years.

0 Ratings
davemitch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 60 of 207

Both my personal webspace and a Church website that I look after hosted on BT's servers are intermittent, and the FTP doesn't work.

Last time I rang the BT broadband helpdesk about a similar issue, they didn't understand what I was on about. Shortly after the site mysteriously came back. I wonder whether it's a ploy to get rid of all these legacy btinternet.com websites. Maybe time to look at another web host?

As someone else commented, the registration email went into the BTYahoo Spam folder, and then Outlook marked it as Junk?

0 Ratings