Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

Nice one!

Your message

To:      www-server-admin@lists.btinternet.com
  Subject: Unable to connect to any btinternet page
  Sent:    Sat, 2 Oct 2010 10:56:17 +0100

did not reach the following recipient(s):

www-server-admin@lists.btinternet.com on Sat, 2 Oct 2010 20:54:47 +0100
    Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified.  Please retry or contact your administrator.
    < c2bthomr11.btconnect.com #4.4.7>

0 Ratings
Highlighted
norfolk99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 72 of 207

Hi,

I've had exactly the same problems for the last 4 days. (my BT hosted website does not appear in the browser, and unable to update the website using FTP).

I spent 3 hours on calls to the Residential Technical hepdesk and they finally admitted that they have not been trained to support problems accessing BT-hosted website. On both occassions they got me to call the Business Technical helpdesk, and on both occassions they (Business) referred me back to the Residential Helpdesk! Finally on calling the Residential Helpdesk for the 3rd time, I asked a supervisor to call the Business Technical Helpdesk to establish who owned the problem. He called back later on Friday night at 9:30PM and said that the problem would "definitaly be fixed in 24 hours". I tried FTP this morning (Sunday) and it worked once but has failed to connect again on every susequent attempt. Equally access to teh website in browser worked just once (and that was very slow). So still a major problem and nowhere to go to see any offical BT updates. As a retired BT employee who worked for 15 years in Software Engineering I'm very dissappointed in the poor level of technical help and customer service.

I'm just glad I found this forum with google to at least get some information.

I also had the problem with the registration email going to my SPAM folder, or I would have joined in earlier. I should have realised of course, but the BT problems led me down the mindset that the registration was not working either.

0 Ratings
SteveWales
Beginner
Message 73 of 207

In my experience, FTP has been barely working for a few days; while personal webspace has been more intermittent.

Lessons, I hope, BT will learn from this are:

(1) They have thousands of customers who still use and (some with organisations, charities etc) rely on their BT webspace

(2) It shouldn't be regarded as a Cinderella service in their operation - and it's especially frustrating when you buy products like Infinity broadband to find the basics not being maintained. You wouldn't buy a new Jaguar from a dealership and expect them not to have fitted an airfilter and a fan belt. 

(3) It should be easy to access information on any problems with the FTP server or webspace and not have to put in calls to call centres

(4) It should be treated as a priority to fix

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 74 of 207

BT didn't learn the last time it broke (March 2009).

The whole sorry mess is a repeat of what happened then.

I would have just bumped the old thread on it, but the old forums seem to have been deleted and replaced with these.

It seems to be the way companies operate these days - the twiddle about with pretty graphics but haven't a clue how the main parts actually work.

If I bought a Jaguar I'd expect them to be able to fix it if it broke, not have the receptionist tell me I was talking to the wrong department.

0 Ratings
Responder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 75 of 207

I think (fingers crossed) BT have resolved this situation.

Not sure about anyone else but, the ftp/web host server seems to be a bit more stable as I write.

I have a weather station which automatically uploads live observations via ftp every minute to my btinternet web page and in the last 30 minutes, I haven't had an error message.

So maybe, it is resolved. However, I strongly suggest you don't hold your breath lol.

It's only taken 8 pages of this subject and numerours people like myself, Andy_N and others to advise BT of thier own issue.

Still, "it's good to talk" haha

0 Ratings
rich1608
Contributor
Message 76 of 207

I'm going to give it a couple of months after this gets fixed before I even consider moving my site back from atspace to BT. As there may well be a lot of work involved in resolving the problem, there is a chance that there could be teething troubles with the system for a while after it gets fixed so I shall remain cautious to start with. Let's hope BT puts it right once and for all.

0 Ratings
Stentifw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 77 of 207

Clearly somebody in BT has taken ownership for this problem because the system is again working.  Why doesn't this person speak to this forum.  This part of BT has apparently abandoned Quality Management ISO 9000.

Responder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 78 of 207

That sounds like a good plan rich1608.  Always better to be safe than sorry and lose all your uploaded webpages, scripts, images etc.

As I said on page 2 of this issue. BT Webspace used to be brilliant and error free but lately, it has been terrible (putting it politely).

I will monitor this issue over the next 72hrs for accessability and if it continues, then I think I will look elsewhere for a new host. There again, I guess everyone has issues but no one knows until you join a forum.

What really amazes me about BT and this is no way a form of slander. But BT seem to think the issue is with the customer. i.e. what is your computer, what is the operating system, is your modem ok, is your line working ok.  They ask every possible question about a customer and until they receive an influx of complaints from other customers about the same issue, only then, will they look at their systems to see if they are faulty.

I just wish BT would treat their customers with respect and stop thinking we are all thick. Some people may not have knowledge about computers and networking, then you get others who are software/hardware technicians and are MS Certified.

0 Ratings
Responder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 79 of 207

From Stentifw: Clearly somebody in BT has taken ownership for this problem because the system is again working.  Why doesn't this person speak to this forum.

There is a moderator who does read this forum but initially she thought it was an individual customer issue but only through several people contacting BT Support and this thread/subject have they taken note.

0 Ratings
shwillow
Message 80 of 207

After continually trying for the last 4 days to FTP update my club web site, last night I actually did it.  Then guess what, today on day 5 I'm back to square one and unable once again to update.

I have been a faithfull customer of BT Internet since it's inception of more years than I can remember.  But they are now testing my patience to the limit with this refusal to publicly make any statement regarding this ongoing issue.  This is appauling service and as my son tells me, your loyalty counts for nothing dad and you should move to another company.

0 Ratings