cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
norfolk99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 111 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

I sent Ian Livingston an email today, and he immediately allocated someone from the BT Retail Technical Management team to resolve this issue. I'll post more details as they arrive.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 112 of 207

@Responder wrote:

Just been doing a bit of searching......

Remember the old days of "Dial-up" packages with a 56kb modem?

BT offered then, 5 email addresses, 50mb webspace on the btinternet.com/~myname server.

If you look any BT broadband package today, you will not see on any package the 50mb webspace being offered.

However, if you search the BT.com for "webspace", the last entry was in 2004.

So, maybe BT do not support this any longer as per geoffo's email response from BT and that when it breaks, it is broken for good.

Could this be the 8th Wonder of the Universe?? Smiley Very Happy

Hi.

Ignore the information on bt.com or btyahoo.com or indeed anywhere on BT web pages about BTinternet webspace, my shortcuts link 10 gives the actual "factual" details.

If anyone new wishes to check that they do indeed have webspace (I've had emails confirming that "new" folk do), then by all means look at my pages or contact me when the problem is over.

0 Ratings
daveindevon
Contributor
Message 113 of 207

Thanks Andy, I bookmarked your 'shortcuts' yesterday, they're very useful, thanks for sharing them.  Even my hit counters are still working - most of the time! 🙂

0 Ratings
pratesi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 114 of 207

OK. Now I am able to access the ftpopenworld server and see all my files. They are there but trying to update any of them does not work as it fails to connect and blocks my call after a while. Now when I call up my website I have a blank white page for my club website. Wow!

Someone at BT hould at least offer us an alternative way to publish our information on the web using BT services and not have us hanging in limbo the past week and possibly force us to move our custom elsewhere with a rival webhost.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Stentifw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 115 of 207

Here we are Monday 4th October 10.55pm and I cannot see my btinternet pages again.  I guess that behind the scenes BT has decided to shift the btinternet hosting job onto a new contractor plus hardware and the enterprise not gone quite the way intended.  (We have to come up with these conspracy theories in the absence of any statement from BT.)  I look forward to reading the response from the Chirman's Office to Norfolk99 above.

0 Ratings
norfolk99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 116 of 207

The BT Retail Technical Management team contacted me this evening and said that they have asked the moderators of this forum to post an progress update on this issue, but this will probably not be until tomorrow now.

0 Ratings
bamt
Beginner
Message 117 of 207

Mine still isn't working properly and I get the distinct impression BT doesn't give two hoots.

The worst thing about it is that the problem only affects BT's loyalest customers, the ones who have been paying for years and who got the 50Mb webspace as a result.

They still want your money (more of it from 1st October), but it seems they don't want to provide the service any more.

There's 12 pages of these comments now. Why can't anyone from BT come on this 'community BT' forum and explain what's happening and say when it will be fixed?  Is it too much to ask to be kept informed of what's happening?

BT support these days is a disgrace.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 118 of 207

Hi everyone,

@norfolk99 wrote:

The BT Retail Technical Management team contacted me this evening and said that they have asked the moderators of this forum to post an progress update on this issue, but this will probably not be until tomorrow now.

Yup norfolk99 is spot on here. 

We are well aware of the problem here are investigating the matter now.  We will keep you updated as we know more.  Sorry for any inconvenience in the mean time.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
pratesi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 119 of 207

Blank website page again today. Again I can call up my files via ftpopenworld but am unable to do anything once they are there. I do pay a monthly subscription fee for the broadband useage, this having transfered from dial up 6 months or so ago. Webspace was part of my package originally and expected it to follow once I changed. I suppose had I stayed on dial-up, things would have been OK!? Obviously this outage has caught BT with their pants down. With all this modern technology at their disposal can no one come up with a satisfactory solution? I have a good mind to ask for some money back for my next BT bill for this major disruption to my service.

0 Ratings
Message 120 of 207

Like many others, since last week my btinternet.com web space has been running like a bag of spanners, FTP error prohibiting loading or removal of items from web space, frustrated at trying to find a BT department who new anything about, held on phone for nearly 30 minutes in a queue only to be suddenly cut off, then I stumbled upon this page by a GOOGLE search, have followed all the comments so far on all 12 pages to date, it is  now starting to sound like a good comedy script, some one in BT needs to sort this out! Surely on the btyahoo or any bt site their should be a link  such as 'www. btinternet.com /web hosting/Help' with a dedicated email contact to BT to report any problems with the system or particular server. For the record if there is any BT moderator/Technician out there reading this my Web page images are on

"Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.btinternet.com Port 80" and at this time of writing is still as intermittent as ever.

0 Ratings