cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rocky8bg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 161 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

Well, I would not be surprised if there wasn't any at all, replies earlier in this thread indicate that BT call centres didn't even know it existed, let allone whether there is support for maintenance of the network.

If you log on via an FTP client there is a message that says "BTopenworld maintains this FTP archive as a service to its Internet customers. Please use it with consideration for others.", which suggests to me they certainly aren't promoting it, it's just a legacy.
0 Ratings
steves_snaps
Aspiring Contributor
Message 162 of 207

Just found this Forum and this thread.

Been a BT Internet customer for a long time, and have used BT hosting for a long time.

My FTP has had problems for ages, I now have no access at all, and the call centre is nothing short of useless when trying to get it sorted out.

This started at the end of September and it's still not working.

I also maintain a web site for another BT customer who lives a few doors away from me, he also hasnt had FTP access for ages.

I am seriously considering changing ISP and Phone line provider now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 163 of 207

@steves_snaps wrote:

Just found this Forum and this thread.

Been a BT Internet customer for a long time, and have used BT hosting for a long time.

My FTP has had problems for ages, I now have no access at all, and the call centre is nothing short of useless when trying to get it sorted out.

This started at the end of September and it's still not working.

I also maintain a web site for another BT customer who lives a few doors away from me, he also hasnt had FTP access for ages.

I am seriously considering changing ISP and Phone line provider now.

Hi.

Is this a BT hosted sites or user sites (e.g. www.btinternet.com/~username) ?

steves_snaps
Aspiring Contributor
Message 164 of 207

Hiya.

Yes, mine and my friends are BT User sites using our free web space.

Every time we try to connect to ftp.btinternet.com we get as far as "waiting for welcome message" and it just times out.

Never had any problems before it all started around the end of September with intermittant problems and has progressed to never connecting at all.

Getting to the stage where we are both looking for alternatives  for ISP and hosting. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 165 of 207

@steves_snaps wrote:

Hiya.

Yes, mine and my friends are BT User sites using our free web space.

Every time we try to connect to ftp.btinternet.com we get as far as "waiting for welcome message" and it just times out.

Never had any problems before it all started around the end of September with intermittant problems and has progressed to never connecting at all.

Getting to the stage where we are both looking for alternatives  for ISP and hosting. Smiley Sad

I've got no problem accessing the webspace at present, and I've not seen anything recently to suggest that there is a widespread problem.

My shortcuts option 10 is the place for webspace stuff, with item [d] perhaps relevant in your case. Go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and see what it gives for your current IP address.

The timeouts can be due to various reasons, many of which over the years can be put down to various anti-virur/firewall and other installed security programs.

What ftp client are you using ?

steves_snaps
Aspiring Contributor
Message 166 of 207

I have tried to use FTP via the Browser (did it when the problem first started) as in your link 10 [D] suggests and it does nothing, no password screen and Browser times out.

Cant see how my security setting are affecting things, they haven't changed, I used to be able to FTP minor site changes a couple of times a week and my security settting never stopped it before. And when I'm on my laptop using Ubuntu with no security software at all the problem is still the same.

I have tried many different FTP programmes, I have tried Browser based FTP on different Browsers, all have the same result....No FTP

My problem started the same time many other users started to get problems, it seems BT has only done half the job and fixed part of the problerm.

Oh well, thanks for the replies and the assistance.

Back to looking for alternative hosting and ISP's

0 Ratings
steves_snaps
Aspiring Contributor
Message 167 of 207

P.S. The main FTP software I use is Filezilla. But this and many others dont work now.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Stentifw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 168 of 207

Here we go again.  I experienced the problems when they first occurred and it took a personal letter by one of the contributors to this thread to Ian Livingstone to get anything to happen.  Now there appears to be some sort of congestion at the server because it is almost impossible to make a connection. I hope that a BT moderator is still looking at this forum because shortly someone is going to contact Ian again.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 169 of 207

Hi Stentifw,

Yes we keep an eye out on all the threads but for the time being this appears to be an isolated case. 

@steves_snaps:

Follow Andy_Ns advice and see if you can get this back to life.  If you continue to have problems drop me an email with your BT account and telephone number with a link back to this thread and I'll be happy to lend a hand.

Just sent to the address in my profile.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
steves_snaps
Aspiring Contributor
Message 170 of 207

Craig.

I dont think my message has come accross quite right above. I have tried Andy's suggestions and I have been trying them and others for a few weeks, long before I knew his links page existed. Theres nothing to help me on the links page that I wasn't already aware of.

Funnily enough, I have tried a few different hosting companies in the last few hours, including the one mentioned earlier in this thread, atspace.com. All are fine and I have no problems uploading or downloading a test index page. So I guess that puts an end to the "it must be security settings, firewall software, virus software etc etc", which seems to be the generic answer I get wherever I ask the question (eg: BT Helplines).

Just how long am I supposed to keep trying????

As Stentifw states above "Now there appears to be some sort of congestion at the server because it is almost impossible to make a connection". My friend also cant gain access via FTP, so it would appear mine isn't such an isolated case.

0 Ratings